BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

LightWorks not-a-manual to be BestSeller

Anonymous
Not applicable
One reason I took the ferry over to the mainland last friday was to stop by the Iconography Studio on West 47th in leafy Kerrisdale and get my mitts on a copy of " LightWorks in ArchiCad". Dwight said that it was "literally hot off the press," and he was serious, that most functional wire binding that the author says accounts for about one-quarter the cost of printing was still warm. I can attest that the bubble envelopes were stacked up ready to be mailed. You'll probably receive your copy shortly after you read this. If you don't, because you haven't ordered one, TOO BAD! My advice, be gentle, try not to trample innocent bystanders in the hurry to obtain yours! This is CLASSIC, be advised.

After the initial rush about LightWorks when 9.0 debuted I decided the prudent thing to do was wait for Dwight's book. I had investigated the Photorendering Settings Pallet ( "what's the big deal? You couldn't possibly come up with more than two pages about this, eh! ") read about the short-comings in the ArchiCad implementation, and realized that It was beyond my ken. Besides, and I suspect that a lot of ArchiCad users are in the same boat, the quality of renderings I could simply manage did not inspire me to pursue the topic further on my own. Better to wait for Dwight. What can be taking him so long ?

Well, now we know.... 208 pages. Dwight says this book in not a manual. As far as I have delved into this I can agree with him. It's not a manual, it's a MODEL MANUAL. Chapter One, with of course the introduction, would have exceeded my expectations alone. I've read a couple of books on photography, but "Think Like a Photographer" really opened up the topic. You can't help but be inspired, in my opinion, and challenged.

For anyone who is concerned that the future of ArchiCad is under the cloud of a heavier, stronger competition this book will be very restorative. They might have the base and the money, but do they have the Dwights and the other ArchiCad Gurus. Do they have not-a-manuals like this, Nooooo...

Thanks Dwight,

Wally
38 REPLIES 38
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Amen...
::rk
Dwight
Newcomer
Thank you, Wally.

Those are kind words.

I'd be interested in other comments from readers as books arrive.... so that I can wipe further tears of relief from my rosy pink cheeks.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just received my two copies of "Lightworks in ArchiCAD".

One for me and one for donation to the University of Arizona's Architectural Library.

Every ArchiCAD user and architect will benefit from this book. Great resource with enlightening insights into what makes a rendering work. This is not like any other rendering book I have ever read, it's personal, it's deep with thought and yet light on it's feet with humor and wit. An inspired publication that should make Graphisoft very proud of their mega-strong user base.

While reading this book please realize that this is not a corporate or publishing house effort. It's one guy, working at his cyber desktop for months and months, and it shows! Wow. What a piece of work!

Thank you Dwight Atkinson, Architect
Dwight
Newcomer
Thank you, Mark.

Response from other readers has also been very gratifying.

I am busy packing another mess of orders today - if you ordered last week, look for yours before Friday (except for Australia - two weeks....).

I hope that all ArchiCAD TALKERS will support my efforts by ordering soon.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
My bunch of copies just arrived safely here in Sydney for myself & local colleagues.
Wow this looks exciting. It is so dense with just tons of fabulous marked up illustative examples... my kind of book...
A sort of contemporary equivalent of the collective manuscripts of Leonardo Da Vinci.
The cover has me a bit stymied. But then "never judge a book by its cover".
Might warrant rebinding in Moroccan leather like the Leonardo.
Dwight
Newcomer
The psychology behind a plain, pragmatic cover is to create curiosity in the reader.

You'll admit that once you touch it and look inside, you will want the book.

We spent the money on full color printing and wire binding instead of marketing glitz.

I've bought too many books with fancy covers to discover that they had nothing inside.

Please order from me before Monday if you can since I am off to New Zealand for a month on Tuesday .....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
"The Book" got to New Zealand before you did, Dwight. Looks great. I may never have to visit this section of the forum again! (Yeah, right).
Should have got you to bring it over, save $20 postage (or would that be $2000 delivery fee?)
See you soon.
Dwight
Newcomer
Let me buy you a drink in compensation. Will you be at a seminar?

Your order arrived here before CADImage invited me to New Zealand for a three city full-day seminar tour. However, it is ponderous to carry books on the plane, with capacity restrictions and usurious overweight charges....

CADImage will be stocking the book - it should be available from them directly as of October 25, the date of my Auckland seminar. Once I knew for sure that they would be stocking the book, I referred further New Zealand queries to them.

We will follow up Auckland with seminar dates in HolyChristAlmightyChurch and Wellington, where they make the boots. Hoping for a factory tour.

ChristChurch: Monday, November 7.
Wellington: Friday, November 4.

Call Campbell Yule to book a place.

Returning via Hawaii, so bug Rex if you want to see me there..... November 14 a possibility.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll be at Auckland seminar. I'll bring my book and point out the spelling mistake.
Learn and get certified!