BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Lightworks Documentation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there ever going to be a detailed set of documentation on how to use Lightworks?
It was much lauded in the release of v.9 and I've seen quite a few example gallery images showing it's results in an often very impressive manner.
HOWEVER, we're now up to v.10, and there is still only a scant 8.5 pages of official documentation!!! No-one at Graphisoft seems to be responding to this vacuum.
From past experience (and current feedback from other users), Artlantis and Cinema 4D still have my votes for usability and supportive documentation - but why should my office have to pay for additional software when there "seems" to be

A dedicated manual needs publishing, covering not only the mechanics of all those shaders and [semi-useful] pre-sets, but also comprehensive tips on scenery extras and their optimal material settings (eg. sky object etc.)

No excuses about the cost or logistics of printing a hard-copy: just make a PDF version downloadable from the Graphisoft site.

Thanks - I look forward to getting to know this "diamond in the rough" a lot better!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
welcome to the sad reality of GS's poor implementation of Lightworks. Poor documentation is only the start of the gripe - try poor useability, the fact that they have used an old version of Lightworks (no radiosity etc) and you'll get the picture.

However if you want to pursue Lightworks...search this forum for Dwight Atkinson, the guru of rendering. You can learn all you need to know from him via his book.

Factoring in the difficult to use interface et al - Artlantis is easy to justify, faster etc etc...

but I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment - why should we pay more?
TomWaltz
Participant
gerald wrote:
A dedicated manual needs publishing, covering not only the mechanics of all those shaders and [semi-useful] pre-sets, but also comprehensive tips on scenery extras and their optimal material settings (eg. sky object etc.)
There is one, just not from Graphisoft. Dwight Atkinson wrote an amazing book printed in full cover with just about everything you could ever want to know about Lightworks. Registered buyers can download an Archicad PLA file with several examples of the book.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
So sorry to not be able to include Melbourne on my Australia lecture tour.
My friends in Sydney and Perth arranged lecture dates in their cities, however. We actually got to your city as tourists, but since I didn't have any support from jealous Graphisoft Australia, we couldn't manage a lecture there. BTW: Great art centre.

I think any user would benefit from my book not only because it provides the basics of LightWorks in Archicad, but does help beginners apply a variety of setting to improve their work and tell architectural stories. You'll read many fine comments from users on the forum about the value of the book. There is also an update for Archicad 10 that addresses the new "Realistic sun" shader that profoundly affects technique. And, unfortunately, time.

If you are in Australia, we have arranged special distribution from Sydney for quick delivery.

Please order as below.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!