BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Lightworks Phantom Light Source

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am experimenting with various lightworks lighting options. To start off with (ie. baseline) I want to turn off all lights period to have a black render, then I will be adding various light sources in individually to see how they look.

So to start I have turned all lamps off (and intensity to 0 just in case) and under the PhotoRendering Settings dialog, I have Sun unchecked, Ambient unchecked and Camera unchecked - ie. the only light source is Lamps.

For some reason there is still some light coming into the render (although it is admittedly dark). When the Lamp is unchecked in the dialog it becomes black (as would be expected). I've checked all lamps and they are all correctly turned off.

Is this level of lighting like a base default, or should the image be black in the scenario I'm describing? If so any ideas what I have to change or what might be going on?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
Test for errant light by unchecking Lamps as a light source.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm attaching two pics. The first one shows the scene with two lamps switched on, one in the kitchen at 50% red and one on the patio at 20% violet. All of the other lights are off. I just put this in to show that turning a light on does work as expected -- it is just when turned off they still seem to be lit for some reason.

The second image shows the render with the lamps selection unchecked. It is black (as would be expected) except for a couple of minor sections that show.

I am still confused as where the light source is originating in the original render with all lights turned off and the lamps selection = on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the image with lamps selection = off.
Dwight
Newcomer
My take is that you have placed a lamp somewhere, probably a skylight or a sun object. It might be on another storey or very distant from the project.

Use your global selection tool in a 3D view with all layers on and with the entire project in the view - ask for LAMPS. See what shows up.
Dwight Atkinson
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Some light fixtures also had an option for an "EXTRA" light to increase ambient light. This was a long time ago and I don't know if it still exists. I am not sure of the exact wording in the parameters, but check the existing lights for another parameter that might suggest this.

[I think this parameter used to be called "Brightener Light"]
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Could you tell me which lights you've used for the Red and Violet lights?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
placed a lamp somewhere, probably a skylight or a sun object
I did this, 3D, select all layers, find all lamps, total found and highlighted = 34. All 34 are accounted for and looked to be in the correct position.
Could you tell me which lights you've used for the Red and Violet lights?
The Violet is the Wall Lamp 05 10 on the patio right side and the red is in the kitchen, Halogen Recessed 10.
Some light fixtures also had an option
I looked through the parameters and didn't see anything like this in the lamps I'm using which are:
Halogen Recessed 10
Wall Lamp 05 10
Hanging Lamp 02 10
Floresent Recessed 02 10
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Hmmm... I also looked at some of the lights last night and created some VERY BLACK renderings. This was on AC11, tho. I see you are using AC10 lights. I even went into the scripts to see if it was embedded into the scripts without having a parameter to control it...

I'll try and check out the AC10 lights you used, but might be a day or two.

If you call up the 3d window window and SELECT ALL LIGHTS, do you get a count that matches what you know to be lights?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you call up the 3d window window and SELECT ALL LIGHTS, do you get a count that matches what you know to be lights?
Yes, there are only 34 lights in the model, when I do a 3D (on show all layers view) and select all it comes up with 34.....

It is most strange.

Also, I am now working in AC11 (again) but still have AC10 light objects so I can change if I need to. In both AC10 and 11 I got the same thing.....
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!