BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Line weights heavy from PDF file prints in ArchiCad10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a printing problem with ArchiCad10. The pdf files made from the "save as pdf" dialogue box look correct with line weights as they should be, but the plotting ends up making all the thin lines such as 0.0 pt a lot heavier like a 0.51 pt. This is on a Macintosh Power PC G4, system 10.3.9. The reproduction service has tried this on several machines (like the KIP 8000) with the same results. The same drawing line weights and method of printing from a pdf were used on previous projects in ArchiCAD9 with no problem. I am using the default ArchiCad9 pen set in my drawings in ArchiCAD10.
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm not sure what you mean by "plotting". I'm guessing you mean the output from the Publisher. If so, you may have a different pen set defined for the Layout - it might be what is showing. If you detail your output process a bit, we're probably able to give you better help.

I guess the SaveAs PDF you mean is the system's Print dialog. This might not be the answer you want, but Archicad 10 in some way uses the OSX system's PDF creator also when Publishing to PDF. So if you have the same settings the output should be the same. OSX's PDf creator is a lot better in 10.4 than in 10.3. You should upgrade - try to get hold of a copy of Tiger (OSX 10.4) from some reseller before it's completely gone. I realize Leopard might be overkill for your machine.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
The output from the publisher, saving as a pdf, is what I send to the reprographics service to plot/print out for me. The only thing that has changed in the way I do this is the Version of ArchiCad I am using. I will take your suggestion and upgrade the OSX system and see if that resolves the issue. My guess is ArchiCad10 was made to work for OS 10.4, but has a few bugs with OS 10.3.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd start by checking that the same Pen Set is used in the original view, in the Layout, (and in the View setting in the Layout or the latter is AC11)
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem with the line weights disappeared when I had a different reprographic service print the pdf files, so there must have been some issue with the other reprographic services's plotting software. The pen sets were correct for the layouts. The installation of OSX 10.5 had no affect on the output and prints. The mystery is that the first reprographic service used to be able to print the drawings with no problem. Thanks for the help.

Robert
Thomas Holm
Booster
They must have changed something.

I forgot that if you produce PDFs, you should be able to easily determine if they are correct by viewing (zoomed-in) or printing them using Adobe Reader on you own printer. Even if it's a small-format one, you can print a small part at the correct scale and the output should be correct.
Learn and get certified!