BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Line weights in Floor & Wall Sections

toman311
Enthusiast
Why don't the walls bottom line recognize that there is a floor there and change line weights?

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 4.23.06 PM.png
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
You have a thick line under the plate at the bottom in the complex profile whereas you don't for the plates at the top.

There is a thick line to the top and bottom of your external skin but when modelled it is touching another wall with the same building material so the line disappears.
The plate and the floor are different building materials so the line stays.

Can you remove the line in the complex profile?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
toman311
Enthusiast
Yes, I can change the lines in the complex profile manager. This leads to another question though.

The gypsum board lines are staying the same thick line and I need them to be a thinner line. I can change the line thickness in the complex profile manager, but this would create extra work in modeling. Here's what I mean. Say I have a 1/2" finish floor in one model and 5/8" finish floor in another model. Does that mean that I have to go back to the complex profile manager to adjust this? Or, is there a way that I can set ArchiCAD's complex profiles up so that they know to change to a thinner pen weight?

I am new to complex profiles, so this question comes from my inexperience with them.
Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 10.23.09 AM.png
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
toman,

I suppose you would like to achieve that graphical look that is usual in English-speaking countries where there is a thick outline to all cut elements and all other cut lines are thin lines.
Unfortunately, this is not possible currently.

The screenshot you uploaded has two structures intersecting. The intersection of each skin of each structure is based on the Intersection Priority Numbers of their Building Materials, the skin with the higher Intersection Priority Number cuts the intersecting skin.
Unfortunately, the Pens that you set in the Composite Settings Dialog are applied along the whole edge. This is why the thick outline of the Wall does not stop at the top of your floor, but continues downward as long as that skin goes based on the Intersection Priority Numbers.

So you would have to use some workaround to achieve the desired look.
1. Use a thin Pen and place thick line segments wherever you need.
2. Cover the short thick segment with a Fill and draw over it with a thin Pen.

Neither is a good solution, but achieves the desired look.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!