BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Lines in transparent materials

David Bearss
Booster
I am experimenting with a rendering techinique and want to include transparent and translucent materials. I have created some different transparent materials with different transparency and color and then I have created some tree forms from slab tool and applied a transparent material to get desired effect. Sometimes the trees show grid lines acros them. When I apply the material to a large slab or wall there are no lines. Am wondering if the complexitiy of the tree form is causing?
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
41 REPLIES 41
Dwight
Newcomer
Try another file format for the image.
Dwight Atkinson
David Bearss
Booster
Sorry Dwight,
Not sure what you mean by that.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Dwight
Newcomer
i take it back.

i thought you were using images......
Dwight Atkinson
David Bearss
Booster
No probs.
And sorry for the delayed response. Distracted by Youg Frankenstein.
Any other ideas? Any possibility that the complexity of the slab perimeter could have an effect?
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
David wrote:
No probs.
And sorry for the delayed response. Distracted by Youg Frankenstein.
Any other ideas? Any possibility that the complexity of the slab perimeter could have an effect?
Off topic...do you windsurf??? Hood river... If you don't... could we switch offices?
😉
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems like there is a fill applied to the material you use. Give it a check!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Something else came to my mind:

AC doesn't like slabs with zero thickness, so if you have used such one, it could be the problem.

Would you post the rendering when you finish it? It would be interesting to have a look at it!
David Bearss
Booster
Mats,
Windsurf I do! One of the main reasons I am here. 30 mph plus winds and 8 foot waves....on a river!

Back on topic, kliment,
I did experiment with different GS glass materials and made the material I used from the GS glass material. Did experiment with thickness and had my slab thickness set at 1/4". Thicker did not make any difference. So far have found that the complexity of the perimeter of the slab seems to have a direct effect. It is odd though that I can apply the same material to a vehicle with clean results.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Dwight
Newcomer
Sweden should have wind skating!

Canadian wind skating.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!