Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Long railings set up for 2d but slow regen in plan

raoultittel
Participant

Hello fellow workers,

I have some railings that are being used for fences in a project. They are 80 metres long in some cases. They have quite a few vertical balusters. When I have several railings as one length it takes say 5 seconds for it to regenerate after I have selected it, even though I have optimised them by turning off all 3d parts and only having 2d lines showing in 2d. Splitting them up into single lengths does help but it is still slow.

Why, if the 3d portions of the railing are turned off in a 2d view, is it taking so long to regen? Can I optimise this? I have optimised model view options as well to keep them as simple as possible I have also turned off all unecessary hidden lines too.

fence 2dfence 2dfence 3dfence 3d

Thanks in advance.

Raoul

Archicad 24 PC Windows 10 Pro

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Raoul,

Having such long railings and many balustrades is a time consuming process to calculate in 3D - each and every balustrade item is calculated individually.

Since your pattern is an easy one, I suggest to mimic 1 smaller part of it with some columns, save them as a railing panel and replace your current balustrade fence with a panel based fence, which is using your custom panel. This workaround should improve the performance of 3D.

Kind regards,
Noémi

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Raoul,

Having such long railings and many balustrades is a time consuming process to calculate in 3D - each and every balustrade item is calculated individually.

Since your pattern is an easy one, I suggest to mimic 1 smaller part of it with some columns, save them as a railing panel and replace your current balustrade fence with a panel based fence, which is using your custom panel. This workaround should improve the performance of 3D.

Kind regards,
Noémi

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Thanks Noémi,

Ironically the fence does not take anywhere near as long to regen in 3d, only 2d.

I will try your method though, thanks. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Cheers

Raoul

Archicad 24 PC Windows 10 Pro

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000
Jan Vlach
Advocate

Are you sure it is the railing that is causing the project to be so slow to regen? I.e. If you hide/delete all your fences, does the problem disapear? From my experience and (very limited) knowledge of GDL, it is very slow to generate 2D view of an gdl object if it is generated from 3D geometry - that is the case if there is no 2D script for the object. That might be for example when you are using custom GDL object as a part of your railing. But as I am looking at your fence, I see nothing that would force you to go this route, as it seems to be made up form imple geomety....

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7