BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

MacXRock

Anonymous
Not applicable
I downloaded the MacXRock program last week and it seems to work fine until I have to import the output file into Archicad.

I get an error message saying it doesn't recognise the file format, which seems to appear as a text file.

Anybody had a similar experience?

thanks in advance

Joel
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice idea, but the new folder doesn't show either…

Thanks for trying though. I appreciate it.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I open it with Archicad and then do a save as a GDL part, the file extension is .gdl rather than the usual .gsm file type…

Any idea if this might be causing the problem with importing it?

Cheers
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Joel:

.gdl is a simple text file that is generally used as a macro for .gsm parts. You could try creating a new .gsm object, then copying and pasting the .gdl text into the 3D script window and see if this will generate the part in 3D (you could also paste the text into the 2D Script to see what you get in 2D). You can also post the .gdl file here and I or someone else might be able to see what it is.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I thought that might be the case, so I tried both of those things. unfortunately… both the 3d and 2d script wouldn't do anything

The forum won't let me attach a .gdl apparently… otherwise I'd post it.

I'll email it to you if you like though?

cheers

joel
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Joel:

You might try zipping the file, there is a 256 kb size limit on the forum (I don't know if the forum only accepts certain file formats). If that doesn't work, then PM me for e-mail info. The advantage of trying to post the file to the forum is that someone else may see something in the file that I am missing.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like it's attached this time.

If we can't get it to work, I apologise in advance for wasting your time…

Cheers

Joel
Anonymous
Not applicable
And I thought I'd post the original file too:
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Joel:

I could not get this to work in ArchiCAD 11, so on a lark I tried the files in ArchiCAD 7 with the thought that this is an old file format. I was able to use the method I described earlier and was able to open your original file as an object. I got a warning about the scale, but the process did work. I have attached the part, which while translated in ArchiCAD 7 appears to work in ArchiCAD 11. Your signature indicate ArchiCAD 6.5, so you can experiment with earlier versions.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, that's good news. nice work.

unfortunately we've upgraded and no machines have 6.5 any more. maybe it'll work with 9…

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

Joel
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!