Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Making a powerpoint presentation,out of the Archicad project

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is what i need:

I want to create a Power point (office 2007) presentation, with a project done in Archicad 12. As for the 3d, it is simple, i just need to render a picture, save it in any image format, and import it simply to the Power point page. But what about the floor plans? How can i import them to the powerpoint? Save them in archicad as .jpeg (is this possible?) and then import them as an image? Or is it better to import them as a .pdf file (again, is it possible to import a .pdf file to the Power point?)

Thanks for the answer.
14 REPLIES 14
Dwight
Newcomer
Screen captures get you the most precise views.

screen shot PC
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
here is a head scratcher!

I have a newish imac running xp on bootcamp.

of courseI have the apple keyboard but it doesnt have a print screen button, any ideas? is there another possible keybaord combination that does the same thing?
Anonymous
Not applicable
For an easy one, I made PDFs of the plans and other kinds of images and assembled from the files. Works.

Lew Bishop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip both Dwight, and Lew.

@LewBishop: tell me, what did you mean by "assemled"? If i understood you corectly, you have saved a floor plan (or elevation, or section...) as a .pdf in archicad, and then converted a .pdf to .jpg , .gif or any other picture format?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Lennox wrote:
here is a head scratcher!
I have a newish imac running xp on bootcamp.
of courseI have the apple keyboard but it doesnt have a print screen button, any ideas? is there another possible keybaord combination that does the same thing?
I'm puzzled by your configuration. If you have an iMac, why not install and use the Mac version of ArchiCAD rather than booting into XP through Bootcamp? If you use the Mac version, a variety screen-grab function are available. Usually cmd-shift-3 to take a snapshot of the whole screen or cmd-shift-4 to take a snapshot of a selected area. You can check the configuration for your Mac using the Keyboard settings in System Preferences (I've attached a snapshot from Snow Leopard).

However, the best option for exporting drawing for display purposes is usually PDF.
keyboard.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
In response, Ralph was more thorough than I. In using the MAC OS, you can print PDFs very easily rather than saving as on the Win OS. Each is OK but the print function is simple.

By assembling I was referring to making all the parts - PDF, Jpeg etc as each has it's place in the final presentation. In addition there may be text pages needed for charts and graphs or other narrative that makes the presentation stand out. The reference to PDF is the use of that format as it is more universal than other formats that I have used in the construction of PP files. The ease with which you can connect with other presentation objects like projectors and other printing devices makes many of the resolution issues less constrictive when PDF is the base file type.

Lew Bishop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Happy Thanksgiving and my apology for the double post.

Lew Bishop
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Lennox wrote:
f courseI have the apple keyboard but it doesnt have a print screen button, any ideas? is there another possible keybaord combination that does the same thing?
Besides the keyboard shortcuts, there is a small application that comes with the Mac called "Grab" (in Applications > Utilities) that gives you several options for capturing all or parts of the screen.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the help. Just one thing: i am using a Windows XP, and a have noticed that pressing "print screen" button, enables creating the pictures with 72 dpi (dots per inch, i think). Is there any way i can make it higher than 72?