Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Marked distant area line weight

David Bearss
Booster
Am getting an odd line weigh with slab, roof and beam in a marked distant area as the lines are coming out fat and grey. The red arrows show the fat grey line and the red arrows show a normal marked distant area line. I can correct with uniform pen for uncut contours, but am curious as to why this is happening. Showing up in sections with marked distant area as well. Same fat grey line. Is there some global pen setting that I am missing somewhere?
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
It seems to be looking for another pen that is the closest match to half of the RGB values of the outline pen.
Whatever thickness that pen is then that is what it uses.
So even if it is thicker than the original outline pen then your marked distance will be thicker and not thinner.

I just tried with a thick (0.5mm) black outline on the slab.
The marked distance was coming out grey.
So I reset all my grey pens to be thicker (1.0mm) and the marked distance area is now showing thicker than the original.
If you play around setting individual grey pen thicknesses you can figure out which pen it is using.

It doesn't actually just reduce the pen thickness and keep the same colour.

Barry.
marked_distance_pens.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
It seems to be looking for another pen that is the closest match to half of the RGB values of the outline pen.
Whatever thickness that pen is then that is what it uses.
If you play around setting individual grey pen thicknesses you can figure out which pen it is using….

Barry.
If you go to your layout and select the view in question, go to Drawing Selection Settings and click on "View Drawing's Own Pen Set" you can narrow it down more easily as it will only display pens used in that view.

I do like the way Renovation overrides change the colour but maintain the line weight. It would be nice if Distant Area option used a line weight relative to the original pen, rather than the line weight of the closest colour match it finds. Maybe half thickness and half colour depth?
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 2.10.43 PM.png
David Bearss
Booster
I fiddled around with pen weights and got a workaround but am still curios as to the root of the occurrence. Probably simplest to just select uniform pen for uncut elements.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram