BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Masking a vectorial hatch of surface with G.O?

Liamthanks
Booster
Hi all,

I'm wondering if it possible to hide the vectorial hatch of wall surface using a graphic override in elevations? For presentation drawings, we show the fill representing the brickwork, however for our working drawings we have the walls shown as an empty / white fill for clarity. I have been trying to work out a combination to make it work rather than having to use a different surface that doesn't have a vectorial fill.

Thank you,
AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Do you have a GO rule for 'All cover fills transparent'?
If so use that.
If not copy the settings shown here.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Liamthanks
Booster
No good unfortunately Barry. This would mean that any surface is now overridden, including rendered walls and cladding.

It's really only the 1c brickwork and 2c brickwork surfaces that it will affect, so I was thinking it would be a rule that if this surface is detected, then change the vectorial hatch to be either on or off.
AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM
Barry Kelly
It is possible.
You can filter the criteria so you are just looking for elements with a particular surface fill.

However it is still not perfect.
GOs do not override just the surface.
They will override the entire element that has that surface.

For example ...

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Also the surface materials in objects will not be affected by the GO.
For example the window sill is the same material as the wall - the hatching will still show and will not be overridden.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Liamthanks
Booster
Hmmm, might just be easier to use another surface for the presentation drawings and then revert back to default settings for the working drawings at this stage...
Barry Kelly
Liamthanks wrote:
Hmmm, might just be easier to use another surface for the presentation drawings and then revert back to default settings for the working drawings at this stage...
Yep.

If you want to constantly change between presentation and working drawing styles in the same file you can save duplicate copies of the surface attributes.
Just the ones you want to change - you don't need to save them all.

Set up the surfaces with the fills for presentation and export those attributes to an external file called something like "surfaces - presentation".
Do the same surfaces without the fills and save them as "surfaces - working drawings".

Now you can use the Attribute Manager to 'override by index number' to which ever ones you want.

And if you are using a standard template and all your files are based on the same attributes - you can do this for any file.

It is not really all that different from just amending the fills in the surfaces but if you are disciplined and have the same attributes in all of your files, then this can work well.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!