BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Match camera view cone to iPhone camera

Brad Elliott
Booster
I thought sometime in the deep past I saw a post on how to match the view cone to a real camera for the view out a window. In this case I am trying to match it to an iPhone 5. On the internet I have found that the camera has a 4.28mm angle of view or 34mm in old 35mm camera terms. But I have no idea what this means.
I have also found this for the 5S;
The sensor size for the iPhone 5S back camera is reported to be 4.89 x 3.67 mm, with a focal length of 4.12 mm. Thus:
2*atan((4.89/2)/4.12) = 61.4 degrees wide
2*atan((3.67/2)/4.12) = 48.0 degrees top to bottom

So it seems that I should set the view cone to 61.4 degrees. Does this sound right? It looks right but it does anyway so it's hard to tell.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
3 REPLIES 3
there's an app called EasyMeasure - there's a free version I think and that would let you let it query your phone camera for a value.

the calibration process gives you feedback on the effective angle of view and seems to be phone model specific.

iphone 6 says 59.6 degrees.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Brad Elliott
Booster
Thanks Aaron,
Based on that I'm 54.22 for my iPhone 5 which is narrower than what I had before.
Have you used the app for measuring? How accurate do you find it to be?
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
the jury's out on it's accuracy. I've used it a bit for landscape stuff. close enough. i don't regret the upgrade to the paid version. they update fairly regularly which is rare for this genre of apps.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!