BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I'm brand new to ArchiCad and was using a basic autocad project prior to this and need some advice for applying materials. I get lost in the directions/videos b/c they are explained using tools/etc. I dont know yet. Can anyone describe how to apply materials so they look real to walls/etc. and how to add doors/windows not on the program(possibly from a picture?) We design horse barns so I somehow need to add stall partions with metal bars and barn doors..and board and batton siding etc...Any advice is grately appreciated ! Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Dwight
Newcomer
Those are both big questions.

The stall bars are simple to model, but an intermediate skill level is required. Lay the bars out in an elevation as fills and transfer the fills to a COMPLEX PROFILE window. Draw the bars using a wall ACROSS the wall direction.

As for the door: Door 16 has several panel options including a "custom" one. Follow the instructions. You may research also "Creating an object"
ScreenSnapz053.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
You face a real challenge attempting all of these modeling and imaging issues at once. PhotoRendering is one of the more extreme, since few Archicad users have been prepared for the artistic issues or have the sensitivity to evaluate images and lighting applied in illustration. And of course the documentation assumes that you know all of the terminology. So start experimenting, it is an uphill battle.

One problem Archicad elements have is that they are improperly mapped. For example, if a panel door that should be modeled with rails and stiles is modeled with a slab, the cross-pieces map across the direction of the grain. Converting to a Morph [Archicad 16] allows surface re-mapping but ruins the schedule.

Mapping anomaly also shows up as direction bias. If you make two slabs, one wider and one longer, the application maps them differently. [attached]

Another problem is that Archicad/Lightworks materials aren’t very good. They often lack resolution and correct color.

It is probably best if you stick to OpenGL rendering for now. The cartoonish effect describes materials and casts shadows well while avoiding the difficulties more sophisticated approaches demand.

My books “LightWorks in Archicad” and “The Artlantis Attitude” address many of the issues users face with Archicad’s main rendering tools.
ScreenSnapz055.png
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!