Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Multiple computer materials problem

Tom Krowka
Booster
Having a problem with the same materials on multiple computers. The computers are individual workstations on a peer to peer network; no central server.
I have completed the model on one computer. I move the .pln to another computer and open it. Problem! None of the textures are loaded for the materials. They were all set in the the first computer, all gone on the second computer.

I have the same library on both computers. They are different in respect to their name and their path. Could that be the problem? Using AC V9, special edition libraries.

thanks......
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
Tom wrote:
Having a problem with the same materials on multiple computers. The computers are individual workstations on a peer to peer network; no central server.
I have completed the model on one computer. I move the .pln to another computer and open it. Problem! None of the textures are loaded for the materials. They were all set in the the first computer, all gone on the second computer.

I have the same library on both computers. They are different in respect to their name and their path. Could that be the problem? Using AC V9, special edition libraries.

thanks......
Do you get any library errors when opening the file? (you may need to click Window > Palette Display > Show Library Report)
Tom Waltz
Tom Krowka
Booster
Tom:

Get several messages:
Have some duplicates and missing textures (but the particular one missing is not listed)

I would think the texture would automatically load from the SE9 library, wouldn't it?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
In fact, upon reviewing the materials right after opening the .pln, I notice many of the materials do not have a texture assigned to them. Would that be because this project was started with an old template? I switched to the SE0 library midstream.
Are the materials' textures set in the template's setting?

If so, how can I update the template without messing up my whole .pln.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
There was a bug in the initial release of 9 such that material textures were not copied when using Attribute Manager to move materials from file to file.

If your file worked prior to SE9, and you were running 2045 at the time (and are up to 2172 now), or didn't use attribute manager, I don't think you should have seen the texture associations disappear.

Material definitions are attributes, and reside inside the pln (php, plc) file. But, they link to external texture files which must be in a loaded library and are matched by name.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
I believe I did use the attribute manager to set up a new template, which was based on the template that came with the new library.
Now I am using the new SE9 library, but with a template that was created from the first version of the SE9 library.

Must I create another new template using the template that came with the new SE9 library? If so, what is the best way to do that?

I need to transfer all our office view sets, layers, pens, etc. to the new template. What's the easiest way to do that? Will that also include the material attributes.

This is confusing enough, I don't want to do it again.

I'd appreciate any insights you could provide.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com