Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

My wishlist for Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this might be a lot pretentious for someone dealing with Archicad for only a few months but I wanted to place somewhere Graphisoft might see what is my wishlist for Archicad, things I tried doing and could not on a full project I worked on.

Before anyone criticises me for this, although I'm still an architecture and interior design undergrad, I'm a software engineering and developer for more than 20 years with a master's degree and graphic design practitioner and that's where lie almost all my issues. I also would like to apologise if some terms I use do not match those used on the app; I consider my English pretty good but I use the app in another language.

• Dark mode I couldn't find an option to use Archicad with a dark UI, not the same dark background that many are used to on AutoCAD, only the UI. I think that a dark mode weights less on the eye for prolonged uses (all day?) and also allows for more distinction between the drawing area and the UI and thus less distraction.
  • More table style options I would like to be able to use more elaborated styles on my tables, like alternate colouring of rows, being able to divide a long table into two or more "columns", allow height/width of lines to be changed individually and fix an issue where the line heights change when the table data is updated (mine does it all the time).
  • Standards for books This is something I gave a lot of thought these days. I don't really see a reason why someone would use different styles of dimension lines and drawing titles in the same book so maybe these could be set on the book and never needed to be seen again. It just takes working time to ensure all lines and all titles follow the office standard. On the project I did, there is no precision on the design of the drawing titles because in each instance I have to adjust it manually. Many more options could be set per book and have us just choose which book style we want to use in the workspace. This would allow not only for us to use required styles for registration documents and another for the ones sent to the client (especially if they don't match or vary between the gov entity requiring them). Table styles could also be defined per book but I know it could be more complicated. It all could just be optional as well so people could choose to work the current way or this new way.
  • Soft shading in 3D corners I admit this is a comparison I was able to see on an axonometric perspective done with Revit in which one could add to it a few extra shadings on the corners (it's an option of the drawing) because I think it created a more visually appealing image. I could push adding a gradient picture over the 3D document but having this natively would be nice.
  • Different end for cut lines This is something I needed to be done in this project due to requirements on scale and paper size I couldn't change in order to prevent drawings from overlapping with the page stamp or border. I had to improvise removing one line end and drawing the other style manually, my luck there were just two of them. Also, do auto texts work in these symbols? I tried to add the number of the page where the cut was but it didn't work. But maybe it was just me doing something wrong.
This is what I run into this far. I was only my first project after all so more may come in future projects. I know this might just fall into oblivion but I really hope this could reach the development team and help improve Archicad for more people than just me.
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lmpessoa,

So you want your Section to have two different Section Markers?
As I recall my Architecture Classes, this is not a standard representation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Braza,

I believe this is not standard too but I was taught it is possible to be used. I found this style over a SketchUp/LayOut template and used it (on the actual project; I recreating the project in Archicad to better learn it) specifically for this project because of scale and paper size requirements that I could not change and the drawing would overlap other fixed parts of the layout if I didn't. I liked it and will probably incorporate it on my template.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok.
Anyway... You can't have two Section Markers on a single Section Line. Unless I am wrong.
But you can: Select your Section > Section Settings > Marker Symbol and Text > Marker Geometry and Style.
You will find plenty of options there. Including your Stick Line Marker.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
To get different symbols on each end of a Section/Elevation marker, you do need GDL.

I think by using "SYMB_MIRRORED" as either 0 or 1 will be each end of the marker line.
I've done that to get something similar as the image previous, for local firms here in Singapore.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very true James.
I just didn't want to scare Lmpessoa with GDL for now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza and James, thanks for the tip. I thought so and I'll dive into it as soon as I have some time.

GDL is a much simpler programming language than those I'm used to work with (I'm also a software developer if you remember from my initial post) so trust me when I say I've seen (much!) worse, **cough** LISP **cough**.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! Lets see how strong is your GDL Kung fu.
You can find precious GDL help on the Graphisoft GDL Center, and here in the GDL Section.
And regarding your Section Marker: Did you manage to solve the issue?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza, I'll still need some time yet to investigate the GDL for the section marker but if there is this property James pointed out, I'll find a way to solve it.
Barry Kelly
Lmpessoa wrote:
Edit: I just found out there is a whole section for wishlists and one specific forum for documentation wishes. I still fear this being lost but perhaps that is a better place for this post.

Yes wishes are best made in the wish sections.
Don't forget to add a poll so you and others can vote on the importance of the wish.

A non-GDL solution for your section markers is to place to section lines.
One is the 'Source Marker' (the actual section) and the other is a 'Linked Marker' that is linked to that source marker.
You can then set the maker to show at one end only (different ends for each one) and then choose different marker styles for each.

It is not perfect.
You still only have the marker style that are included in the marker you use (so you may still need GDL to create a new marker style).
You will have 2 section lines, although it will list as only one section in the Project Map.
If you have dashed section line, they may overlap creating a solid line.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11