Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

My wishlist for Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this might be a lot pretentious for someone dealing with Archicad for only a few months but I wanted to place somewhere Graphisoft might see what is my wishlist for Archicad, things I tried doing and could not on a full project I worked on.

Before anyone criticises me for this, although I'm still an architecture and interior design undergrad, I'm a software engineering and developer for more than 20 years with a master's degree and graphic design practitioner and that's where lie almost all my issues. I also would like to apologise if some terms I use do not match those used on the app; I consider my English pretty good but I use the app in another language.

• Dark mode I couldn't find an option to use Archicad with a dark UI, not the same dark background that many are used to on AutoCAD, only the UI. I think that a dark mode weights less on the eye for prolonged uses (all day?) and also allows for more distinction between the drawing area and the UI and thus less distraction.
  • More table style options I would like to be able to use more elaborated styles on my tables, like alternate colouring of rows, being able to divide a long table into two or more "columns", allow height/width of lines to be changed individually and fix an issue where the line heights change when the table data is updated (mine does it all the time).
  • Standards for books This is something I gave a lot of thought these days. I don't really see a reason why someone would use different styles of dimension lines and drawing titles in the same book so maybe these could be set on the book and never needed to be seen again. It just takes working time to ensure all lines and all titles follow the office standard. On the project I did, there is no precision on the design of the drawing titles because in each instance I have to adjust it manually. Many more options could be set per book and have us just choose which book style we want to use in the workspace. This would allow not only for us to use required styles for registration documents and another for the ones sent to the client (especially if they don't match or vary between the gov entity requiring them). Table styles could also be defined per book but I know it could be more complicated. It all could just be optional as well so people could choose to work the current way or this new way.
  • Soft shading in 3D corners I admit this is a comparison I was able to see on an axonometric perspective done with Revit in which one could add to it a few extra shadings on the corners (it's an option of the drawing) because I think it created a more visually appealing image. I could push adding a gradient picture over the 3D document but having this natively would be nice.
  • Different end for cut lines This is something I needed to be done in this project due to requirements on scale and paper size I couldn't change in order to prevent drawings from overlapping with the page stamp or border. I had to improvise removing one line end and drawing the other style manually, my luck there were just two of them. Also, do auto texts work in these symbols? I tried to add the number of the page where the cut was but it didn't work. But maybe it was just me doing something wrong.
This is what I run into this far. I was only my first project after all so more may come in future projects. I know this might just fall into oblivion but I really hope this could reach the development team and help improve Archicad for more people than just me.
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lmpessoa,

Welcome aboard!
Let me try to put some light on your wishlist.
Dark mode: This feature is already available for AC24 users on Mac. Windows users will have to wait a bit more. But I've heard that it is around the corner.
More table style options. In AC terminology, tables are called Interactive Schedules. You can find help on formatting your Schedules here.
Standards for books. I am not sure what you are calling books.
Soft shading in 3D corners. I presume you are most likely coming here with a Revit background. So the first piece of advise I see here from a lot more experienced users than I am is: "Don't expect Archicad to do everything Revit does". Archicad has its own ways to do things. In my bias opinion I think this 3d soft shading corners is more like a way for Revit gives its outdated isometric view a little more legibility. I am sure you will find 3d Styles much more interesting.
Different end for cut lines. I am not quite sure what is your issue. Could you post here a screenshot?
I am pretty sure your questions wont fall in oblivion here. But sometimes the feedback will vary depend on the spare times our fellow Archicad users have. Meanwhile we all suggest you to fill your signature with your hardware and software specs, for us to better give you feedback for your questions. And of course before coming here, check the Archicad Help site and the Archicad documentation.

Cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Braza, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm glad to know the dark mode for Windows is coming, I'll try to be patient and wait for it.

As for schedules, I've seen I can do all that is described in the document you linked but still my rows keep reverting to a standard size from time to time (still cannot determine what makes it change), even thou I select the option to resize lines to content and I also cannot do alternate row colour (here is a link to what I want to do: https://i.stack.imgur.com/55oRj.png). It could also be done by hand but it won't be easy to maintain, thus the reason I want to see the feature.

Helped by the previous link on schedules you gave, I found what I was talking about was the layout book (https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide-chapter/85141/). I meant to say that it is unlikely there will be different dimension lines and drawing title styles within each set of layouts and could be defined only once for all drawings on a certain set. Easier to maintain and change for all, if need arises.

As for the cut line, I'm attaching a screenshot of what I had to do. The left "L" was hand-drawn and the 14 on the other side is the number of the page where the cut is shown (and I don't know if it can be done automatically). Just ignore the "J-01" as it is just a window marker.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding the "Cut Line":
This is a Section Line. It seems you are trying to edit your Section Markers. You can find help on Section and Elevation Settings. Look there for "Source Marker". In the marker settings you will also find how to insert a Section Marker that automatically refers to the Layout in which your Section Drawing is inserted.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding your Schedules loosing your predefined configurations:
You will have to get in the concepts of Project/View/Layout Maps. You will find help here.
Basically, your Schedule must be saved as a View containing all your predefined settings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding the Layout Settings:
You can save any selected element (including Drawings) with your own settings as "Favorites" then apply the Favorites definition to any other selected drawing. You will find help here.
Cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza,

I've followed the documentation and was able to change the settings on my project to fix the drawing reference on the section lines and the height of lines on two schedules (so far I only wanted it those two) but I still miss those alternating line colours since they help reading the resulting tables and look forward to even the simplest option to achieve that result. I'm aware of favourites and am yet to configure on my own template, I just think there could be an easier/simpler way of doing this.

Also, the different heads on the section line don't seem to be possible with the current options. Would it be possible to be solved with a custom marker or both must always be identical?
Barry Kelly
As this is not a discussion about Archicad and is more about how to document in Archicad, I have moved this post to the Construction Documentation section.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lmpessoa wrote:
but I still miss those alternating line colours since they help reading the resulting tables and look forward to even the simplest option to achieve that result.
Unfortunately there is no such option (yet). But you can always put your wish here on the wishlist.
I would vote essential, as this is a regular option in almost any calculation sheet.
As a workaround, I would place the Schedule on the layout and manually draw some background fills on the placed Schedule. Like this:
I'm aware of favourites and am yet to configure on my own template, I just think there could be an easier/simpler way of doing this.
Yes. The process of creating a solid template is a bit time consuming, but the return in productivity is gigantic. You will also see that this process is much more fluid on Archicad.

Regarding the Section Marker: You can create custom Section Markers, but I am pretty sure you can achieve it with the standard ones. Could you give us a screenshot of exactly what you want?

Cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Regarding the Section Marker: You can create custom Section Markers, but I am pretty sure you can achieve it with the standard ones. Could you give us a screenshot of exactly what you want?

Hi Braza,

I already did, on my first response to you:
Lmpessoa wrote:
As for the cut line, I'm attaching a screenshot of what I had to do.

Just look at both sides of the section line and you will see.
Barry wrote:
As this is not a discussion about Archicad and is more about how to document in Archicad, I have moved this post to the Construction Documentation section.

Hi Barry,

The post has become an issue about how to document in Archicad but was mean to be about how to make Archicad better, even if just a little bit. I'm glad my post didn't go into oblivion as I feared but now I fear it may be forgotten by moving somewhere else.

Edit: I just found out there is a whole section for wishlists and one specific forum for documentation wishes. I still fear this being lost but perhaps that is a better place for this post.