BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Night Scene

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
DISCLAIMER: I'm missing something obvious, I'm sure....

I am trying to render a scene at dusk... I've plowed my way thru many of the SKY settings and can generally get the lighting to represent a dusk scene..

However, I have the VIBRANT BLUE background that I just can't get rid of... (same as daytime sky)

I would expect the color of the background (of the Physical Sky) to change with the time of day... But for the life of me, I cannot find this setting...

I have even tried to FAKE it with a Gradient... but that will not do what I want either...

Also, why can't I add a background IMAGE to my scene? I disable the "Physical Sky" and go to background IMAGE, but it just gives me a waring BEEP and pushes it back to "COLOR"...

Any assistance is appreciated...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
2 REPLIES 2
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you are using physical renderer with one of the presets (like blue night), the colour is set in the detailed settings under: environment > physical sky > sky > custom gradient

So the 'base' colour is indeed a gradient with all kinds of tricky 'cubic knot' etc settings.

You can set alpha channel (save image as PNG with alpha channel when you save) and you can use your own background in something like photoshop.

I think using a background image directly only works with the lesser quality renderer (forgot name, the 'not physical' one).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
So here's what I found...

I'm guessing there is a limit to the pixel size of a Background image... I reduced the size and was able to insert it.

It DOES work with the Physical Rendering settings, you just have to disable the SKY.

There was NO GRADIENT to start... I still don't know where the blue color is coming from.. but with the photo background, I'll be able to "cover it up"...

I am trying to accomplish a DUSK setting, but difficult to get ENOUGH ambient light without distracting shadows coming from a "low sun"... I may try to use a heavy cloud cover or some other ATMOSPHERE setting to help..

Unfortunately it's a CHANGE ONE THING / RENDER deal... which takes a long time... Even with PARTIAL RENDERING...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Learn and get certified!