BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Night rendering (in ArchiCAD - Lightworks)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am finishing my Master of Architecture and Science this days in may.

I have design a new airport, and I need t make some night renderings - cause that is the best setting for an airport (hundreds of lights etc..)

My file is huge - so it would be out of question to place hundreds of runway lights etc.

The most important thing is to let the terminal itself be lighted up - glowing is more correct..

I know in CINEMA4D you can choose materials and make them "glowing".

As mention, I´d hope to get this rendering without using a third program.

I know some work would be done in photoshop.

SO - do some of you have a ABC/prints screen of the settings/menu regarding night rendering in Lightworks?

Thanks.

Similar example: www.instablogsgallery.com/gallery/2007/10/04/beijing-airport-1_48.jpg

www.e-architect.co.uk/beijing/jpgs/beijing_airport_fostersoct07_nigelyoung01.jpg

www.e-architect.co.uk/beijing/jpgs/beijing_airport_fostersoct07_nigelyoung27.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
do yourself a favor and do not try to achieve that in archicad.
if you can, try using 3ds max (or cinema4d) or at least artlantis (wich is very easy to use)

night renders are not difficult to set up but because of the large number of lights (and the low intensity) they demand more processing power
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would prefer to use this ambient occlusion (lookalike)technic..

I am not thinking of trying to make a photorealistic image - that is not my taste - the head thing is to make the terminal "glow" in the dark..
Dwight
Newcomer
Large diameter light cones shining outward from inside the windows could be used to do the beijing airport image.
Dwight Atkinson
stefan
Expert
If you want to stick to ArchiCAD, good luck with it...

I can advise you to place different light groups on different layers, make a few renderings from the exact same viewpoint (with each render using a different layer combination) and then use Photoshop to layer them together.

Easier to control a series of lights independent of the others.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Fiuni:

For some of these elements (like the skylights) you could try editing their material definitions, using the Pipeline > Graphisoft Emission to get the glow without using light sources.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to create a Ambient Occlusion rendering in ArchiCAD?
Eduardo Rolon
Fiuni wrote:
Is it possible to create a Ambient Occlusion rendering in ArchiCAD?
Nope.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD can do night renders pretty well, i find just placing bright general lights behind the windows and glass panels to 'over illuminate' the interior gives a satisfactory effect.

then you must turn off the sun

then apply a dark background(dusk, night ect..)

then make you skyobject or ambient light match the color of the background(night time=dark blue)

just some old preliminary renders

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for good suggestions..
Learn and get certified!