Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

North Symbol on Master Layout - automatic orientation?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, here's my question:

I have a North Symbol integrated in my master layout. Most of the drawings are oriented perpendicular to my building axes, but I want to orient the situation plan to North.
I rotate the view but the north symbol from the master layout doesn't change.
Probably I am doing it the wrong way, but I don't know how to do it. Any help will be appreciated
Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
morurit:

The North Symbol on a Layout does not have any information about the rotation of a View on a Layout, it just knows where Project North is. You will need to add the North Symbol to the rotated View, or add and rotate the North Symbol to the Layout.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, so there's no way of doing what I was planning to do.... I'll cheat a north on top of a white fill for that page I guess.

Thanks anyway
Barry Kelly
Don't place your North point in the master or layout pages at all.
It will have no connection to your actual model - only to the project north in your settings.
Place the object in the plan view of your model and it will track north as you have set it in the settings.

When you place the view of the plan on your layout the north point will already be there and will show the correct direction - and of course will rotate with the plan as you rotate the placed drawing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
My 1:1000 scale site layouts are just seperate Worksheets with the imported cadastral survey, which is always true north rotated here in NL.

As such we just use a static north arrow that just points up on our master layout.

You can trace and reference your floorplans to the worksheet, drag and rotate the reference and anything you copy between the floorplan / worksheet can be related to that some offset + rotation if you want to pass some data along.

Might not be very BIM, but a simple 1:1000 scale site layout rarely is in my experience
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Our templates have a dedicated worksheet for a project north symbol which can be placed on its own in any layout. Then all plans are oriented to be square with the layout.

Seems like the simplest approach.

Cheers,
Link.