BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Opening tool is not creating an opening that is visible in 3d

svpribyl
Booster
This probably has a simple solution. I am trying to create an opening using the Opening tool in the 3d window. I see the preview of the opening, but when I click on a wall or beam, no visible opening is created. I feel like opening is created because I can "undo" the operation, but the opening is not visible in 3d. The opening is visible in plan view.

I can create an opening in plan view, but it is not visible in 3d.

What am I missing?
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
8 REPLIES 8
svpribyl
Booster
By the way, there are no graphic overrides turned on.
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
Karl Ottenstein
I'm guessing it is related to the location of your editing plane in 3D. Switch from the empty opening to an arbitrary window object and repeat in 3D. Is the result a window floating in space above/below the wall that you want it to be in? (If it is visible in plan view, then the window/door display is probably set to 'symbolic', as otherwise the cut plane would prevent it from being seen there.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
svpribyl
Booster
Hi Carl,
Placing a window object as you suggest results in a window where I expect it. As a test, I also made the wall 100' tall (extending beginning 30' below the first floor), and I still don't see the Opening. The opening is visible in 2d. With the Opening tool selected, doing a "find all openings" in Plan View results in the openings highlighted. Doing a "find all openings" in 3d does not highlight any openings.
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm just guessing, but it could be the Renovation Filters. Maybe your Window has a Renovation Status set as "New" and you have different Renovation Filters selected for your plan and your 3D/section/elevation.
svpribyl
Booster
Hi mbl,
I tried different renovation settings. No different.
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try navigating to the Options Menu>Project Preferences>Legacy and then uncheck the option Use legacy intersection and Surface methods for model elements and then click OK. Let me know if this shows the openings.
svpribyl
Booster
Yayyyy! That did it! Thank you, Marcus.
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27

I've had the same problem and on some views, Opening Tool is visible, on another — is not. 

Options Menu>Project Preferences>Legacy and then uncheck the option Use legacy intersection and Surface methods for model elements — not help.

What else can be a reason? And how we can fix it?

Learn and get certified!