Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF printing and saving *crashes* AC 11 & 13 every time!

Cary Westerbeck
Newcomer
Hello,

I have an AC file developed in v11 that crashes the software when either saving as a PDF or printing to PDF. The strange thing is it only crashes on two of my layouts and all the rest print to PDF just fine.

I'm at my wit's end and have had this problem since last winter when starting the project. I have a deadline in a couple days and need to deliver PDFs and I seriously don't know how to PDF those two sheets.

I did save those sheets as dwg files and was able to open them in as a separate file and PDF that way -- However, I lost all my line weights and other settings and it somehow locked all the lines and they can't be changed.

I tried PDF'ing from the publisher and it also crashes as soon as it gets to one of the messed up layouts.

I use a Mac and did the AC13 patch for PDF printing that came out the other day, just to see if it would help and it didn't.

Any help is appreciated. I have sent the file to my local AC rep and haven't heard back yet.

I'll even do a crazy workaround to get those PDFs out since it's just two sheets.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
Cary,
There may be a problem in the model/file. If you have 'write report' on in your work environment, are you getting any error messages when you generate the 3D model?

Are there any SEOs in the model?
-Try a new and reset.
-Did you do a forward merge? (see Tips and Tricks Section)

-Try saving a copy of the entire file and generate the pdfs from this, same problem?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Cary Westerbeck
Newcomer
Hi Erika, thanks for responding!

There aren't any SEOs in this file, though I usually use that a lot. This is an unusual project type.

I am going to try all your suggestions right now. I did make a copy and tried making PDFs in v13, which I use for most projects. I had to finish this one in v11 for the contract.

I haven't tried write report, though I'm glad you reminded me of it - I'll turn it on. If I knew what was causing it I might be able to fix it.

I'll try your suggestions and post in a bit.

Thanks!
Erika wrote:
Cary,
There may be a problem in the model/file. If you have 'write report' on in your work environment, are you getting any error messages when you generate the 3D model?

Are there any SEOs in the model?
-Try a new and reset.
-Did you do a forward merge? (see Tips and Tricks Section)

-Try saving a copy of the entire file and generate the pdfs from this, same problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cary Westerbeck
Newcomer
Yes, I got the e-mail and patch from Graphisoft the other day and patched asap. But I always appreciate the heads up because sometimes I wouldn't know about these things!

Unfortunately, AC11 has been doing this to me on this file off and on since last January. It can PDF sometimes and not others. Puzzling.

I managed to PDF today by choosing the "mail PDF" option when printing and then sending it to myself. Silly workaround, but it worked so I'm happy. I won't have to deal with this awful file (that someone else started and set up terribly) after next week.

Thanks for the post, much appreciate the help.
Jeffrey wrote:
Have you seen this post?

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=34137
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It could be due to too many elements, including fills using busy patterns. Maybe it's worth checking and trialling different options, by hiding certain things?

That's where I'd start.

Cheers,
Link.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
The same thing is happening to me. It just started and I have never experienced this problem before. I tried saving other Archicad files as a PDF and the same thing happens-CRASH!
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thanks Jeffrey. That patch did the trick!
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Cary Westerbeck
Newcomer
Yes, as you'll see in my second post, I did the new v13 patch immediately when Graphisoft sent it out last week.

I've had mixed success PDF'ing since my first post. I have managed to PDF the offending sheets after many tries. The two ways that have worked are to either "Mail PDF" (in print command) or "Save As" a PDF. Even those choices crashed it most of the time. The strange thing is that I managed to get them PDF'd without crashing finally. It has been erratic.

As a side note, I keep working on the file in v11 as required by the firm I'm contracting with. However, I save a copy as v13 and have had more success printing PDFs from v13....maybe because of the patch.

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions so far.
Stephen wrote:
Thanks Jeffrey. That patch did the trick!