BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PM/AC 9 writing '_2' suffix instead of overwriting PMK's

Andy Thomson
Advisor
This behaviour is vexing. I have deleted all OLD PMK files in the destination folder (so these PMK's are being published to a de-facto empty folder), I have deleted all preferences and caches that I could find, and STILL, ArchiCad is publishing viewsets titled:

ROOF - and -
MECH. PENTHOUSE - and -
FLOORS 10-32

as

ROOF_2.PMK - and -
MECH. PENTHOUSE_2.PMK - and -
FLOORS 10-32_2.PMK

The trouble is, one thinks the files are updated, prints, and then discovers these files did NOT update because of the '_2' factor.

That is why I have started deleting destination folder contents (the old PMK's) to republish new PMK files into, which has worked for me in the past, but now I am wondering what/where is telling the PMK to append a '_2' suffix??

I am not including PMK's in the LBK, they are external, on a server.
The LBK cache folder is on my local machine, and is empty (this seems always to be empty, so I wonder why the warning that:

"Note: Including Cache Data with the Layout Book can significantly increase file size!"

I haven't seen a difference either way.

Any ideas why I am getting _2? It is an absolutely unwlecome feature!

Thanks for any help you can offer AC-talkers!

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
6 REPLIES 6
TomWaltz
Participant
Is your View Set Publishing Property set to "Create Flat Folder Structur" instead of "Create Real Folder Structure"?
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Yes, but I usually publish in groups ' selected items only' say, for the A3 series, and then the A4 series, etc. Reason being we have different PMK's coming from different PLNs (details, suites, landscape, etc. files)

If this doesn't happen when publishing real folder structure, I can try this and then cut-paste files into where they should be:

AHA! You're right. Publishing real folder structure (to my desktop rather than to the target folder on the server) doesn't append _2.

Where is the instruction being given/what cache is telling AC to write _2???
How can we disable this so we get proper overwriting of files?

A
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
TomWaltz
Participant
andyro wrote:
Yes, but I usually publish in groups ' selected items only' say, for the A3 series, and then the A4 series, etc. Reason being we have different PMK's coming from different PLNs (details, suites, landscape, etc. files)

If this doesn't happen when publishing real folder structure, I can try this and then cut-paste files into where they should be:

AHA! You're right. Publishing real folder structure (to my desktop rather than to the target folder on the server) doesn't append _2.

Where is the instruction being given/what cache is telling AC to write _2???
How can we disable this so we get proper overwriting of files?

A
Archicad believes that all your PMKs COULD be written in one folder if you published the entire set. It's supposed to be a safety mechanism to prevent you from publishing an entire View Set and overwriting your own work.

As far as I know, the only way to make it behave as you expect is to use "Real structure".

I'm not sure what the problem is with that, since we routinely have 8 or 10 PLNs in a project and use Real Folder Structure exclusively. It saves people from having to worry about where their PMKs are going. The whole point of Publisher is that you should set it all up once and them be able to forget about it.
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
So you have separate PMK folders for all your various PLN sources, with Landscape, Plans A2, A3, and details, etc?

We can organize it either way, but The _2 behaviour seems sporadic.
I routinely republish 'selected' only using flat file structure and I get no _2 appended. Then other times the _2 is appended - that is what is troubling me.

The mystery for me is when I DELETE the entire contents of the target folder, clear all caches, and the _2 is written nevertheless.

The rationale for the _2 is clear enough, but what cache is tipping AC off to even write the _2? This is a big project and is already set up. I would rather just purge the cache in question and proceed as we have.....at this point...

Thanks,

A
Director
TomWaltz
Participant
andyro wrote:
So you have separate PMK folders for all your various PLN sources, with Landscape, Plans A2, A3, and details, etc?

We can organize it either way, but The _2 behaviour seems sporadic.
I routinely republish 'selected' only using flat file structure and I get no _2 appended. Then other times the _2 is appended - that is what is troubling me.

The mystery for me is when I DELETE the entire contents of the target folder, clear all caches, and the _2 is written nevertheless.

The rationale for the _2 is clear enough, but what cache is tipping AC off to even write the _2? This is a big project and is already set up. I would rather just purge the cache in question and proceed as we have.....at this point...

Thanks,

A
There is no cache that's tipping off Archicad. There is another view defined with the same name somewhere in the same viewset.

We always have a PMK folder which then has one folder under it for each PLN file in the project.
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Thanks, I will hunt for the offending viewset...

A
Director
Learn and get certified!