Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PM layout updates

Anonymous
Not applicable
when starting a new project I would like to have my standard view sets update on a cloned PM layout. I have tried doing this through the drawing usage/read all from button but no success. Any thoughts about how to reuse a PM layout without reimporting every viewset? bill
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
Bill,
After you press 'read all' you may get a window that lists some errors. These refer to views whose names don't match exactly from one file to the next, or views that are in one file but not the other.

Just click 'ok',
then in navigator hit the 'update all' button.

Is this what you are doing?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
Also, When you go to link to the new AC, if there is more than one AC in that folder, archicad will not know which AC to link to so it won't change the link.

You will have to temporarily move the other ACs elsewhere, do the link and then you can update all at once.

hth
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hit the read all from button, then I am given the choose button, however the AC file icon is greyed out and not chooseable. I tried breaking all the hotlinks first, but still the AC file was unchooseable. Update all just refreshed the views from the prior project.

bill roslansky
AC8
Are you using views placed from an AC project? As opposed to placed PMKs or something.

If so, 'Read All From' is your enemy. To link to project views, the button has to say, 'Link To'. 'Read All From' wants a folder containing drawing files, not a PLN, as you have seen.

Ideally, you should be able to select all the views in drawing usage, click 'Link To', and choose the PLN. I don't understand the particulars, but some conditions (deleted drawings? views from different projects?) cause the button to switch to R.A.F. instead, which is useless for view linking.

When you hit this snag, try selecting small groups of list items, while watching the 'Link To' button, to isolate the bad actors. Then link them separately. Note: you'll get 'Link To' for them by themselves. I don't get it.

OK, setting up templates. Make view sets in AC. Save the project as a Project Template (.tpl). Make the layouts and subsets in the layout book, and import the views from the template project into their proper layouts. This becomes the 'book template, though there's no special file of that type.

Start a new project with the template, and a new layout book from the 'book template. Select all the views in drawing usage, and Link To the new project.

It should work. If there are bad links in the templates, isolate and fix them before releasing the templates to the wild.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh there we go, on the screen where I choose the file I had to enable "Archicad solo projects" instead of "archicad archives?".
How suh-weeet it is!

bill
AC8