Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Pearling Site concrete (by Valerio Olgiati)

Paopao
Booster
Hi guys,
I am trying to achieve the same effect as Valerio Olgiati's Pearling Site Museum in Cinerender (https://www.archdaily.com/914629/pearling-site-museum-and-entrance-valerio-olgiati/5cab7acc284dd1741...) but with no success. It doesn't have to be a realisitc feeling and I have prepared a texture (file attached) on which I would like to base the new aterial but I cannot achieve the effect I am after. I am not very accustomed to creating new material so I thought to modify one of the pre-existing concrete but I haven't quite been able to load the texture and change the colour. I have followed some tutorial but I cannot change the parameters in the new material after I duplicate it. I am using concrete 2 as the starting point.

I would appreciate any input you have regarding how I should go about.

Thanks very much for your inputs.
PP
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
8 REPLIES 8
Lingwisyer
Guru
With the staining and all?

CineRender is not very nice to work with since you cannot insert or copy settings into your channel hierarchy, nor can you link channels. Due to this, working on a duplicate of an existing texture probably is not going to help much since you will need to redo the entire colour channel in order to modify the colour as well as add aging effects. You will also need to redo the entire diffusion channel since what ever is there, if there is any, will not match your colour channel. The reflectance and bump you might be able to get away with leaving depending on your surfaces "finish". If need be, you could possibly just insert your image with a filter layer as your bump map.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
If you are not worried about bump maps, reflection, etc., then it is really quite simple.

Duplicate an existing concrete surface.

In the OpenGL/Basic settings ...
Swap the texture image for the one you have - it needs to be in a loaded library or you can press the ADD button to find it and it will be added to the Embedded library.
Set the size of the texture to match your JPG (1697 x 1200).
Adjust the surface colour if you want to (you will see this colour in vectorial views - not OpenGL or renders).

Now swtich to the 'Cinerender' settings and press the button to "Match Settings" and then choose the option to "Update Cineware Settings (from basic)".
Save and job is done.

If you want all of the bumps, transparency, diffusion, etc., then that is much more involved.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Paopao
Booster
Thanks! I have managed to obtain a fairly ok visualization I think but I can't quite force the section to adopt the texture I have made. I have tried to play around with the settings but I can't quite work it out. Any idea?

Thanks again!

PP
Paopao
Booster
By the way, I extracted another texture from one of the photos in the link
Lingwisyer
Guru
Ah, so you were not trying to turn your linked texture into one similar to the post

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
The section (or more correctly the 3D cut) is showing a Building Material.
Try setting the surface for that Building Material to the one you want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Paopao
Booster
Thanks Barry. I will fiddle with it.

PP
Paopao
Booster
Lingwisyer wrote:
Ah, so you were not trying to turn your linked texture into one similar to the post
I actually extracted an image from the Pearling Site and used that. It was a bit more realistic but still very graphic I thought.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!