BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Pen set for a composite

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I tried looking for an answer but couldn't seem to find one. I would like to make a part of a composite (the non-bearing part) to be filled with white colour and for the load-bearing part to be black. I tried setting different rules in pen sets, but I'm not able to find the one that works. Does anyone know how I would be able to do that? I don't want to change the fill of the material because I need it in other views.

Many thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Podolsky
Ace
You cannot change the only the part of composite structure via graphical override. Graphical Override changes the whole element.
But you can separate load-bearing elements from non load-bearing. So, instead of using one slab with layers for floor and structural slab, model two slabs. The same with walls and columns. Of course it takes more time to model, but another benefit of such a modelling - less problems with file exchange with structural engineer. So, engineer can provide you IFC model of load-bearing elements only (let say concrete, that he did in Revit) and you can hotlink it to your model easily.
Even if you don't use external structural engineer for current project - if you will have such a habit to model - you will not face any problems in the future.
I've seen quite often problem with it - architects are merging their architectural model, made from composites, with a model they received from engineer - and as a result they are getting complete mess.
David Shorter
Advisor
What sort of pen sets do you use?
can you supply a sample file showing your current settings?
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
David Shorter
Advisor
OK I have assumed you are using the default template
Here is a solution.
Create 2 pen sets with pen 241 to black in one and white in the other.
Select all the Building Materials which are Structural and change the background to pen 241

by changing going the pen set you can change the structural core to either black or white

Hope this helps
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, this is very good technique using pens. The only one thing here - it is impossible to detect load-bearing structure. That means then you need to have different building material for load-bearing and non-load-bearing elements.
David Shorter
Advisor
Yes, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you like. My object here was to illustrate a method which can answer the original question.
You will note that I have only assigned pen 241 to building materials which have "structural" in the name. Adding similar but renamed materials would allow refinement of the method.
Hope this helps.
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
David Shorter
Advisor
Taking this further you can use 2 overlapping views and do this on the layout....
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
DGSketcher
Legend
Using David's last post brings things full circle. I only have one pen set which I use everywhere in combination with GOs. The method suggested of combining two views in layouts is quite common and dates back to the good old days of drawing on film and superimposing plans. I would take your general view plan as suggested and place it on the layout sheet, (as this is only a guide you can GO everything in this view to a grey pen if you want), you can then superimpose the structure plan view as suggested using Partial Structure Display with an appropriate GO highlighting pen (Black) applied to load-bearing elements. You could obviously take this further and make the GO rules highlight columns etc. if that helps.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
DGSketcher wrote:
Using David's last post brings things full circle. I only have one pen set which I use everywhere in combination with GOs. The method suggested of combining two views in layouts is quite common and dates back to the good old days of drawing on film and superimposing plans. I would take your general view plan as suggested and place it on the layout sheet, (as this is only a guide you can GO everything in this view to a grey pen if you want), you can then superimpose the structure plan view as suggested using Partial Structure Display with an appropriate GO highlighting pen (Black) applied to load-bearing elements. You could obviously take this further and make the GO rules highlight columns etc. if that helps.
Stacked views with very selective layer combinatios and showing only load bearing structural elements and heavy use of GO is how we make structural drawings. It takes a bit of time to set up, but we've added it to our template meaning we for the most part only have to at notation (dimensions, text). Everything is taken from our 'normal' architectural model and both outputs (architectural / structural) co-exist quite happily without needing two different models.

This method works quite well!
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!