BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

PhotoShop Sample File

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently I needed to get a color elevation ready for a city review board. Not a lot of time but at least I had the buildings 90% 3D. A quick vector elevation in ArchiCAD then export to Photoshop, set up layers and color in with airbrush tool. Copy and Paste for the sky. ArchiCAD trees added last.

When I started - I wished I could have had an example file like this to study/play with to learn more about PhotoShop's layers. I post this for a while so that others can learn and or critique the effort.

The masks are saved as selections. I still have plenty to learn, please comment.

Download the PhotoShop file from:

http://www.Burginger.com/ARCHICAD/BURGINGER.zip

Filesize 5.28 MB
8 REPLIES 8
Thanks. I am new to PhotoShop CS2. I wish had gotten it a long time ago.

scale down the roof tiles a bit ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Rakela Raul
Participant
2 good x me
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
about the roof tiles...the more I look at them the more I think they should be a shown. Its the impression of roof tiles created that counts here I think. I am curious about that. Is that the intention?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I looked at it this way. This is a design "sketch" ha - like the word sketch can be applied to a work done with ArchiCAD after all the model setup.

Anyway I did the tiles at actual size and two things happened I didn't like. The sketch engine rendered the roof as nearly black, and the vector elevations looked too busy. Enlarging them allowed the drawing to look lighter while still communicating the "look" of tile.

Likewise, if done by hand, I never draft a roof "at scale".
Another very nice touch was the windows layer. ( in the download, not the example) When I turn off the all of the other layers, the window color has this beautiful fade from top (dark) to bottom (lighter). How did you get that effect? Is it the background showing through? How would I change it to a black fade instead of a blue?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using the saved selections you can modify the photoshop image in 101 different ways. I just used light blue with the airbrush tool, painted it darker at top. If anyone modifies the photoshop image I don't mind you posting it. Unless of course you use the flame tool and burn it to the ground.

Here is a preliminary sketch engine image of Bldg. A
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great presentation! It's funny that we make some of the best ones then time is short!

Here I post the similar case I had. Didn't have time for rendering. Technique is the same.

Learning Photoshop is a must for any architect. It is the most valuable application for my job!

Steve, about the windows - paint them with blue, then use a big fat eraser with paintbrush shape, decrease opacity to 30-50 and have a go! There is always the additional opacity control at the layer window too!
ADA Primorsko colour fas for mail.jpg
Karl Ottenstein
Nice result, Mark.

I've seen lots of people (including students at the university) using this technique in Photoshop ... and have to say, that it is just way too much work to do well and flexibly compared to doing the same thing in Piranesi. Piranesi is all about NOT having to create masks for the windows, etc. because it knows that they are either (a) a different material or (b) a different 3D plane.

Yes, saved selections let you modify your work in Photoshop ... but if the model changes, because the client wants a change, those saved selections/masks each have to be modified. Piranesi simply 'knows'. 😉

Depending on one's bill-out rate, a couple of elevations like this might pay for Piranesi ($620) in time-saved over Photoshop.

Don't get me wrong - I use PS all the time and I know that many people do what you're doing... but I also believe in the right tool for the job. 😉

Really nice presentation board / project!

Cheers,
Karl

PS The 30 day free trial download:
http://www.informatix.co.uk/piranesi/index.shtml
does not give a good feel for what is included in the full product since it only includes a few textures/cutouts - while 100's are included in the CD.
Be sure to download the guided tour and tutorial moies, too. The user manual is only the online help, but Bonnie Roskes, author of the SketchUp book, recently published a Piranesi book.

A good review:
http://www.cgarchitect.com/news/newsfeed.asp?nid=2367
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!