BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Photorender size constraints

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It seems that photorendered images will only generate to the extents of the 3D window. If my 3D window is, say, 800x800, so it fits nicely on my second monitor next to my navigator, navigator preview and 3D navigation control box, but I want a photorenderd image on a 30x42 sheet, then I need to create that image at, say 3600x3600 (@150 dpi). The image within that photorender will only ever get to be 800x800.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious or is this a problem?

Any advice or workaround ideas would be appreciated. But we need these images to be automatically updateable in PM, as per all the other views.

Cheers,
Link.

AC8.1 PM 3.1
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Am I missing something blatantly obvious or is this a problem?
I haven't tested such a large size now by by printing, but it seems that when you adjust the size of the image AND the resolution, in the Photorendering Settings, this would automatically adjust the printed output size.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link ... ?

Are you sure that you're not accidentally pressing the 'size to 3d window' button in the 'photorendering settings' dialogue box??

You should also check that you haven't got the checkbox for 'keep same proportions as 3d window' checked??

For ME, it doesn't seem that "photorenderings will only generate to the extent of the 3d window" ... are you sure you haven't 'missed' the scrollbars at the sides?? The window is only that size but the image is larger...

Are you on a Mac?

I must confess to _not_ having done a _lot_ of huge 'photorealistic' rendering in AC (?!?!) but have produced some large (4000x4000) sketch outputs...

HTH - Stuart
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
When rendering an image that size, ArchiCAD will create a window that will fit on the screen for it to render in, but you should notice some scroll bars on the right and bottom edges. It may seem that it is only rendering the size of the screen, but if your photo-rendering settings are set correctly (3600 x 3600 & 150dpi) then the resulting image will be the correct size.

You should also notice the rendering time is dramatically longer than an 800 x 800 rendering as well.

HTH
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Okay,

I don't think I made myself clear. Hopefully these images will help clear it up.

The plan vies shows the extents of the camera. The next view, is of the 3D window extents. And the final view is where the problem lies. The cropping down of the photorender to the 3D window extents.

I'm not saying this is new, but is causing my client serious problems, in the creation of an intricate and very comprehensive customized template.

Cheers,
Link.
Images.jpg
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
The plan vies shows the extents of the camera. The next view, is of the 3D window extents. And the final view is where the problem lies. The cropping down of the photorender to the 3D window extents.
You cannot render anything that is not seen in the 3D window. IMHo not possible in any software, please correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, the rendering window has to be proportional to the 3D window in order not to have any blank background colored areas around the rendering.

The problem here is, you can "zoom" out in the 3D window, effectively creating a blank margin space around your 3D view. Not good if you don't want it.

In the screenshots attached, it is obvious that:

- the proportions of the 3D window and the rendering window are not the same

- the proprotions of the rendering window are more suited to a panorama than a single shot

If your client wants to see a lot in the width, but not much in height, reshape the 3D window accordingly, and move the camera out so that its view angle includes all that should be seen. Beware of very wide view angles - fisheye lenses that are built in software usually are not so called "shift" lenses that can correct perspective aberations.

Don't forget: standard 35mm cameras have image aspect ration of 24x36mm, or simply 2:3. DIN paper sizes have 1.41 ratios. Panoramas are QUITE a different ballgame.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

Further to Djordje's comments, imagine that the photo window will only show an image which is -proportional- in size to the 3d window.

If you make your photo window 3600x3600 rather than 1200x400 then you will probably have happier results ...

HTH - Stuart
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thanks guys,

I appreciate your replies. Experience shows that what you both say is true, but I thought there may be a tricky workaround to get the results I need. What is especially frustrating is that you can stretch the 3D window and see the rest of the model! Unfortunately stretching or resizing the 3D window is not an option.

I have heard of people turning their camera away from the model to generate the 3D view, then simply turning their camera around in another program (ie. Artlantis) which makes for speedy 3D generation times. I thought maybe I could do the same thing for this, but it doesn't look like it.

And as zooming out is not an option in our case either, I guess I will have to have two cameras for each 3D view. One close, and one further away.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Unfortunately stretching or resizing the 3D window is not an option.
If you don't mind my asking, why not?
And as zooming out is not an option in our case either, I guess I will have to have two cameras for each 3D view. One close, and one further away.
Again, why not? Why not just widen the view cone to get more in the image?
Maybe I misunderstood something
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Why not? Well, to cut a long story short, I am working with a client who wants to create custom house plans in under 10 hours. The template we are creating is very extensive. It has prelinked views of every kind into a 64 page multi-option, multi-scheme layout book, including floor plans, schedules, sections, elevations, details, interactive schedules and these 3D photorendered views. As the model is populated in AC, it is automatically reflected and positioned perfectly on sheets in PM. It is a highly efficient system and makes him over 600% more productive than his nearest competitors. We have it so dialed in, that having him constantly resizing his 3D window would seriously hamper his quick production times. This problem is our biggest hurdle to overcome in our final stages of development.

That's why.

I will post the result we come up with, hopefully it'll be something special.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!