Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Photorender size constraints

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It seems that photorendered images will only generate to the extents of the 3D window. If my 3D window is, say, 800x800, so it fits nicely on my second monitor next to my navigator, navigator preview and 3D navigation control box, but I want a photorenderd image on a 30x42 sheet, then I need to create that image at, say 3600x3600 (@150 dpi). The image within that photorender will only ever get to be 800x800.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious or is this a problem?

Any advice or workaround ideas would be appreciated. But we need these images to be automatically updateable in PM, as per all the other views.

Cheers,
Link.

AC8.1 PM 3.1
15 REPLIES 15
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
As the model is populated in AC, it is automatically reflected and positioned perfectly on sheets in PM.///We have it so dialed in, that having him constantly resizing his 3D window would seriously hamper his quick production times. This problem is our biggest hurdle to overcome in our final stages of development.
Well ... if the houses are more or less of similar size (which they presumably are, otherwise plans, S/E could not automatically fit) then you should also decide on the size and shape of the 3D window, predefine 3D views, and set the photorendering window to be proportional to the 3D window.

Alternatively, you probably work on the largest house, so set the views for it, and all the smaller ones will fit.

Orchestra (violas included)!

Or am I utterly, completely and hopelessly skiing down the wrong dune?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
I'm on the same page as Djordje here, Link ... cannot really understand why the size of the 3D window is even an issue from your description ... perhaps a screenshot that illustrates a problem?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool
We've got a less sophisticated version for our templates, sketch renderings and all. But, like they said, the views still have to be tweaked for every project. Good Luck!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey Karl

If you take a look at the image I uploaded in an earlier post, you'll see what I mean. I really can't explain it better than that image shows it. Basically we want the sketch render to show more information than the 3D window. It's all there in the 3D window, because we can stretch it, or pan around and see it. Obviously we don't usually want AC to render more than is needed, but I think if we specify the photorender window to be bigger than the 3D window, then AC should photorender what we specify - not relate back to only what is shown in the 3D window. Zooming and/or resizing the 3D window is not really an option - what if we have two photorenders from the same 3D window for example. And both are prelinked into a layout book?

This is a unique case, and I don't really want to waste any more time with it. Thanks for everyone's input though! It's much appreciated and always a pleasure to correspond with you all.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
Hey Karl

If you take a look at the image I uploaded in an earlier post, you'll see what I mean. I really can't explain it better than that image shows it. Basically we want the sketch render to show more information than the 3D window. It's all there in the 3D window, because we can stretch it, or pan around and see it. Obviously we don't usually want AC to render more than is needed, but I think if we specify the photorender window to be bigger than the 3D window, then AC should photorender what we specify - not relate back to only what is shown in the 3D window. Zooming and/or resizing the 3D window is not really an option - what if we have two photorenders from the same 3D window for example. And both are prelinked into a layout book?
Ah. Sorry. Somehow had missed that image and Djordje's reply to it - problem with this new system...had read the beginning of the thread, then when logged back on there was a flurry of messages and didn't realize I had missed some in the middle!

I agree again with Djordje's reply after the image post. The camera that you show in plan is set with a view extent that will clip the wings of the structure exactly as shown in the 3D window ... and exactly as shown in the sketch window. If the proportions of the render window (not the size, the proportions) are different from those of the 3D window, you will get margins as Djordje points out. If you want the panorama, different camera settings are needed (probably moving the camera back to avoid distortion)...and a panoramic shapped 3D window, etc.

Where I think you're going to run into trouble is an issue that I've interacted with GS on since 8R1 and that is that linking to renderings from PM just doesn't work - you get crappy 72dpi jpeg images.

To get a quality image into PM, the workaround even now in 8.1R1 is to use Publisher in AC to publish the views (renderings) to appropriate file formats (tiff, png, a higher quality jpeg compression, etc)...since in Publisher, you can specify all of those details. With linking from PM, there is no control at the moment.

This sucks of course, since anything from the 3D window or photorender engines needs to be published from AC for quality, while all other drawing elements can be linked from PM.

There is hope for the future, as I believe Graphisoft has listened on this one.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
Basically we want the sketch render to show more information than the 3D window.
No way , Jose What is seen in the 3D window defines what is to be rendered.

Sorry, can't be done.

Anyway - make a Publisher set in the template, with 3D views preset. CAUTION - the 3D views do NOT change the rendering engine (duuuh!) but use the current settings. IMHO a BIG thing to miss (used to work beautifully with 3D QuickViews in 7).

Good luck,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen