Document & Visualize forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photoshop? or something else.

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am looking to add some entourage to 3D photorendering models. Am hesitant to use Photoshop as it seems its pretty complicated to learn. Not really thrilled about buying and learning new software, but do need to be able to upgrade the AC renderings. Adding 3D trees, people, cars, etc really increases rendering time and also doesn't get that POP that one used to be able to do by hand. Any recommendations?

Thanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect

Windows 11, AC Version 25

Thomas@wkarchwk.com

www.walshkrowka.com
17 REPLIES 17

Aaron Bourgoin
Advisor
have a look at Affinity Photo. Available on Windows, MacOS and iOS. No subscription, just a one time outright purchase at a price that's a fraction of what Photoshop used to cost. Good support and good reviews.
Think Like a Spec Writer

AC24-7006 / USA AC25-5010 USA

Rhino 7 Mac

MacOS 11.6.5

Eduardo Rolon
and 30% off during July 2018
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Vectorworks 2022

Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks Will check it out. tom
Tom Krowka Architect

Thomas@wkarchwk.com

www.walshkrowka.com

Tom Krowka
Booster
Aaron wrote:
have a look at Affinity Photo. Available on Windows, MacOS and iOS. No subscription, just a one time outright purchase at a price that's a fraction of what Photoshop used to cost. Good support and good reviews.
Do you use it?
Tom Krowka Architect

Thomas@wkarchwk.com

www.walshkrowka.com

Aaron Bourgoin
Advisor
I do use it, but probably not the extent I could. That said, I think it would easily rival PS for the toolset required.

I say this having pored over architectural photoshop tutorials on YouTube. I don't see anything in them that couldn't be done in Affinity Photo.

lots of useful tutorials for the unfamiliar here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-kIrZUQyoTnexM3jJAw Having watched many of these, I don't think the workflow differs significantly from what you'd do in PS.

When Affinity Publisher goes to public beta this month, Serif will have an Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign rival running on three platforms without subscription.
Think Like a Spec Writer

AC24-7006 / USA AC25-5010 USA

Rhino 7 Mac

MacOS 11.6.5

alemanda
Participant
I use both Affinity Photo and Design. Great products!
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it

I'm still using photoshop CS4, still runs on windows10, even though it is 10 years old.

I don't know the price point for affinity photo, but I think you would be able to pickup a copy of CS4 design premium for fairly cheap on ebay or such. Just a thought.

I use GIMP at home, which is completely free (open source).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-24 NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also recommend Affinity, very inexpensive (I think I paid A$69), fast and a relatively small download

Regards
Scott

mikas
Expert
Me too use Affinity Photo (and Affinity Designer a little bit too). I started from the Mac beta ~3,5 years ago, and gradually I moved from Pixelmator to use Affinity only. It's really good and fast nowadays, the company is doing great job developing it further.

I wouldn't say it's any easier to Photoshop, but I haven't used Photoshop for years, so not sure. The speed is good, and stability too. And supported formats are enough for me.

I have bought it once at 39,99€, and I can use it in 5 of my machines simultaneously (App Store family license or something..). Very admittable license I'd say. I am not sure about windows license, did not understand it thoroughly, but I am tempted to buy win version too. If I use my Z800, I would like to have that familiar and capable photo tool available on windows too.

There is a iPad version of Photo too, haven't tested it. It costs separately though, 15€.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.5.1 • HP Z440 E5-1650v3/256GB/RX6900XT/W10Pro

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
I also use Affinity Photo and Designer. I also still use Pixelmator for some tasks - it's more lightweight and hence quicker/easier for some tasks. But I rate the Affinity products very highly.
Ralph Wessel BArch

Stress Co_
Expert
I've been getting by with "Photoshop Elements".
It's a slimmed down version of photoshop. No subscription
and will be, some what, familiar if you're use to PS.
You can find current versions online for about $60 USD.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full)

Rick Thompson
Enthusiast
What does Affinity Photo offer that Pixelmador doesn't have.. at least for editing renderings? Thanks
Rick Thompson

Mac Monterey AC 25

http://www.thompsonplans.com
iMac 3.4GHz Quad i5 24 GB w/SSD Monterey

Tom Krowka
Booster
Does Affinity have entourage.....trees, people, cars, etc included or must one purchase those items separately. Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect

Thomas@wkarchwk.com

www.walshkrowka.com

I don't think any image editing software will come bundled with that.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-24 NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Lingwisyer
Champion
Adobe Stock which comes with a CC subscription and is accessible through Photoshop CC might contain those things... But it you are not wanting to hop onto a subscription, you will need to put up with needing to find your own creative commons licenced, un-licenced or similar stock.

Ling.
AC22-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.

Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200 RIP PSU
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

jl_lt
Expert

I cannot recomend enough using twinmotion.  With a little effort your need for post editing will be minimal

I 100 percent stand by twinmotion.

But

Photoshop allows actions and with the right ones if you do the right searches you can find them for free and create some really cool watercolor or other types of renderings easily once you've used twinmotion

FREE Soffit & Fascia for Rail Tool - https://bit.ly/BIMRithmSoffitandFascia
FREE wall Accessory framing and coverings - bit.ly/BIMRithmWallAccessories
FREE Truss object - https://bit.ly/BIMRithmTrussV1
FREE Custom Tube Object - https://bit.ly/BIMRithmPolyTube
AC 24, Twinmotion current, Windows 11, Msi 10UG with rtx 3070, wacom intuos pro m, Wacom Cintiq Pro 16, razer Tartarus pro.

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!