Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Piranesi

Karl Ottenstein
Thought I'd start a new thread just for Piranesi ... another thread has Sketchup included, and it should be its own thread as well.

It would be useful to hear other people's reasons for purchasing Piranesi and any tips and tricks that they have discovered.

I've convinced myself to make the purchase after several days with the demo and will write more about that later. Neither the Piranesi web site nor comments on archicad-talk were specific enough to explain to me (a hard-sell) why I would want this tool. Now that I've played with all of the tutorials as well as images from ArchiCAD and Artlantis, I understand just how revolutionary a product this is ... very eye opening (just as is Sketchup ... but keep that in a different thread please).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
49 REPLIES 49
GSHQfadmin
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
What do you think about this? (3D Studio Max 5)
aqua.jpg
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks, Admin, nice picture too!

My images came back. I'm not sure what happened, maybe some kind of cache issue. But it was the same in Netscape, Explorer, Safari? Other images, avatars, images linked to other sites etc looked fine, but no attachments. mysterious. I'm happy they're back!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
Something's happened!

Earlier this evening when I posted the Piranesi/Artlantis examples attached to the messages above, i could view them alright. Now, they're gone!

Anyone, please reply to this message and tell wether you can see the attached images or not.
In full glory ... good work, Thomas!

Tip: Informatix posts images done by users on their Gallery - heck, even some of mine hung there some years ago - so if you have an image that you are really satisfied with, email it to them.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm seeing the Images fine. Piranesi gives a great image. We need to see about getting this for the office. (Just another program to learn while trying to get documents out!)
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
GSHQFAdmin wrote:
What do you think about this? (3D Studio Max 5)
Question.
Is this really MAX only or is done with Brazil(Splutterfish) or Final render??

If this is "just" MAX, it's pretty darn good.
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Image from my GSIdeas competition entry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Image from my GSIdeas competition entry.
Karl Ottenstein
A [Tip/Reminder] for Piranesi cutouts (and textures):

I just got my full copy of Piranesi 3 and am starting to play.

The ArchiCAD 20th Anniversary CD contains a folder called 'Building Textures'. In that, there is one called 'Objects TIF' which contains 440 masked images of plants, appliances, curtains, rugs, etc. All of these work perfectly as Piranesi cutouts! (Pick and choose - some do not have a high enough resolution for some uses.) A huge resource that I never really took advantage of with ArchiCAD itself.

The Objects folder also contains a folder of mouldings (along with 1-off fireplace surrounds, etc that work as cutouts). It is so easy to use the images of baroque plaster mouldings in Piranesi. Rather than cutouts, use these as brush textures with a horizontal (x) repeat, and with tangent mode, paint the mouldings wherever you want them. What visual freedom compared with having to build such a thing in ArchiCAD.

It also contains a "Textures JPG" folder with 1,699 texture files, which I have used frequently with ArchiCAD ... but which will also of course be useful with Piranesi.

Delighted and having fun,
Karl

PS Pretty cool that Informatix allowed for drag-and-drop of images from Explorer into the Montage window ... with thumbnails in Explorer, you can quickly drag an alternate image in, press Ctrl-R and see the results.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
A-OK.

The Piranesi image is so much softer and more inviting.

But considering how well you had everything mapped in Art*lantis it seems kind of a shame that another (rather expensive) application is needed just to achieve the soft focus.

I'm sure I'd feel differently if direct export from AC was smooth. And clearly the value of Piranesi increases the farther you take your renderings from their "default" state.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Thomas Holm
Booster
Artkantis is still worthwhile for setting your lights. Nothing beats it's speed.

Thanks for the tip, Karl. I had completely forgot about that CD.

Thomas
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1