Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Place drawing on layout

Tom Krowka
Booster
Anybody know where the setting is for placing a drawing (view) onto the layout sheet? My views are coming in on an angle of 88.15 degrees with a default title block. Would like to set it up correctly so views are placed correctly with the title block of my choice.

There must be a global setting somewhere.

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
9 REPLIES 9
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.

If I understand correctly...

Views on layouts are placed using the Drawing tool (even if you drag and drop them in a layout from the navigator). So, if you select a placed view (drawing, in this case) from a layout and access its settings dialog, you will see its properties there. You can change and edit the title block.

Since all these are settings, you can edit one to your liking and then ALT-click it to grab the settings as default, so new dragged or placed views will have that title block. I prefer to copy&paste drawings and then relink them, or copy layouts that have only one view and relink that so it sits in the same spot in the layout.

As for the angle, is the "view" rotated or is it the "drawing" (placed view)? Views save the orientation as part of their information, so the easy way to fix this is to open your views from the view navigator, correct the view orientation, and then redefine the view. This should update the view in the layout (provided it is set to automatic update).

Hope that helps.
Best regards.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Sort of helps. The views are all set correctly in terms of angle. They change angle and automatically gain a title block when I drag the view to the layout in the Organizer. I can change them easily enough once I get them onto the layout, but where is the setting that changes the view's angle and adds the title block as it's getting dragged onto the layout? It's not set in the view, nor in the master layout anywhere that I can find.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
With nothing selected try opening up the Drawing Tool's settings. The Angle is under the Properties panel. Set it to 0 and click OK and now every drawing should come in at the specified angle.

This behaves like the default for any tool.

Cheers,
Link.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks.....never thought of looking there. However, the title section of the dialogue box is greyed out. Is there something else I need to do to make it active so I can select the title? So close.....
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Now I get it. Set the drawing as you like it on the layout with the title selected then save it as a default in favorites.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You don't have to save it as a favorite if you don't want to. Just set the defaults up in the tool settings and call it good.

Up to you!

Cheers,
Link.
Barry Kelly
As SinceV6 said, once you have a drawing setup on your layout the way you like it then ALT-click it to set the defaults for the drawing tool.

Just make sure you save your template with the defaults set correctly for the tool otherwise you will have to make the same changes every time you start a new job.

Saving as a favourite is good because you can export favourites and then import them into any other job.
Not easy to get just the one favourite to transfer between jobs (that is a whole other matter) but it can be done.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Tom wrote:
However, the title section of the dialogue box is greyed out. Is there something else I need to do to make it active so I can select the title?
You need to have a Layout Sheet window open in the foreground. If you open the Drawing Tool settings with a Plan or other view in the foreground then the Title panel is greyed out.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks Dave. That will do the trick.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com