BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Pretty, coloured floor plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I set the floor plans and elevs to show each material's colour for printing/presentation? Is there a way to render true floor plans and elevs other than by rendering similar model views?

Many thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
How real does it need to be?

Elevations can be told to present materials colors, but t is a cartoon... i'd stick with a real render.

To render an exact plan…

You use a cutting plane to take off the roof/ceiling assembly and then ask the 3D View to give you a top down view.

Close enough? Or have i missed your point?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was hoping there might be a way to do it so that I get the same quality i get in Maxwell. The main concern is making sure that the final printout is to scale.

How do I get it to present each material's colour?
Anonymous
Not applicable
islander wrote:
I was hoping there might be a way to do it so that I get the same quality i get in Maxwell. The main concern is making sure that the final printout is to scale.

How do I get it to present each material's colour?
You can get good quality floor plan renderings using the lightworks rendering engine. As for your materials/colors....you have to set a desired/preferred texture or .lwa to go along with your material under material settings. There's much more to it than what I've mentioned, but a few trial runs should get you on the right track. Now, for the scale, there are other ways of achieving this, but if it were me, I'd import ('AC9') the rendering into plotmaker over the scaled floor plan view set and adjust the image's resolution in the image settings until it matches the size of the floor plan view set. Or a second option would be to do the adjustments in photoshop if at all possible (im sure there's a way).

Hows the weather back in the philippines? i miss it already
Dwight
Newcomer
Ir bears noting that Photoshop CS3 can scale images to a specified architectural scale - this is set once you measure a known dimension in pixels.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that.

Rendering a 3d view of an elevation gives me everything I need except the correct scale. Any more ideas? I don't have cs3, but I suppose a bit of trial and error in CS2 might work.

As for Manila's weather, a bit wet outside but not humid at all. Very cool today. Damn mosquitoes everywhere though!
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
islander wrote:
Rendering a 3d view of an elevation give me everything I need except the correct scale. Any more ideas? I don't have cs3, but I suppose a bit of trial and error in CS2 might work.
A technique I have used is to do the regular elevation as LINE DRAWING and lay your rendering underneath it. By using the RESIZE command, you can simply visually stretch the image to match the scaled line drawing.

I typically leave both the line drawing and the rendering in the print such that I can Scale the nicer looking elevation. Switching all the linework to SKETCHY may even look better.

The same can be done for plans. In both cases, stick the IMAGE on a unique layer so you can turn it off when it comes time for construction documents.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Learn and get certified!