BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Problem running BIM Explorer - hardware? software?

Arcadia
Booster
I'm bench testing and setting up a new system (see specs in my signature) which is all high end components and yet it won't run a BIM explorer file. It will load it then either crash as soon as the 3D view comes up or allow varying lengths of time of exploring. It basically just freezes then the only thing I can do is hit the reboot button on the case. I've tried uninstalling the display drivers and reinstalling (using the version of the drivers on the AMD website that have been designed for Graphisoft). I've mucked around with the graphics settings in the AMD control centre. Nothing works. I know I'm reaching and its probably unlikely someone has had the same problem but you never know...
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not sure, but maybe ArchiCAD do not support 2 ATI Fire Pro in SLI configuration. Try to use only 1 card.
Arcadia
Booster
I think AMD call it crossfire not SLI and I have this turned off so each card is running independently (I run 4 screens so have 2 screens plugged into each card). I tried it with crossfire turned on too and the result was the same.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your correction, it´s a Crossfire.
Check the cards settings (Hardware acceleration, Antialiasing, Z-sync....), try using only 1 Screen. Or check with another card.
This happens only with Bimx?
Arcadia
Booster
I've tried all the driver settings ie antialiasing etc, I'm only running one screen at the moment anyway as the other 3 are on my old system. I've swapped the screen from one card to another, tried with and without crossfire. I've deleted pagefiling from my C drive (which is a small SSD running software and OS without a lot of spare space) and put system managed pagefiles on my second SSD and my third HDD. The cards I'm using are certified for both Archicad and BIMX and the driver for them is the one that AMD reference on their website as the correct driver for Archicad.

Yes I think the issue is just with BIMx as everything else works flawlessly - archicad 3D window, photoshop etc. I'm not a gamer and don't own any games so can't check how they work.

Its most frustrating buying a top end custom-built PC then having a problem like this:( Hell even my 2 year old toshiba laptop can run BIMx files!
Arcadia
Booster
Fixed! Turns out it was a faulty BIOS that wasn't managing memory correctly.
Learn and get certified!