Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Problem with displacement on maxwell materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been scratching my head all morning over this and can't see where I am going wrong? I am trying to load a brick maxwell mxm material into AC15, and it looks fine in preview, but when I render it dos this crazy displacement, and makes my brick wall look like it's clad with a drape/curtain

Any help gratefully received, I am struggling with this
14 REPLIES 14
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi,

have a look at this "reference " topic :

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=12722&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=maxwell...

and here is the Clue :
MaX_MaD wrote:
Try upping your precision settings dramaticaly (like to 500 or 1000), I have only used displacement once and had similar problems.. In the end I'm sure I really ramped up the precision and that seemed to solve the problem.

There arn't that many controls, so I would just have a play with them and study what does what..
So, you have to open the downloaded mxm file in the maxwell material editor and modify the precision value.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad has no options in regards to subdividing the model surface into nice, even squares of the type that the displacement channel in Maxwell likes (rather than the 'broken mirror'-type subdivision that is extremely noticeable if you open up your AC model in another 3D modelling program).

Aside from the suggestion to ramp up the 'subdivision' levels in your MXM displacement channel, you may have to leave this channel alone (unless the surface is rectangular) and just go with bump.

If you find the answer, please post it - I'm having the same problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the material looks well in preview because it is probably using a evenly dense mesh for the preview scene.

the examples you've posted above appear to be triangulating the mesh(s) on heavily loaded single vertices.

displacement works properly according to manageable render/export/memory consumption relative to mesh subdivision.

you could try setting your displacement setting within the maxwell material setting to "adaptive" and see what happens...... although you might experience some heavy export times with the mesh(s) shown and desired results won't be guaranteed....

curious to know what your process from model to render is? i often have to re-model certain surfaces in a third party polygon modeler in order to get the right surface distribution for the displacement needed....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks for the help guys.

I have tried upping the levels in the displacement channel, up to 500, then a 1000. This improved it, but did not solve it. Doubling it again had no effect. Same for setting to 'adaptive'.

Below is a quick test to show the differences.

Looks like unless I am modelling huge brick spheres in the future I will have to forgo the displacment for now

Rusteberg, I render in Maxwell direct from AC, no 3rd party software is used.
displacement_problems#2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
And the finished result, sans brick displacement
second_draft.jpg
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Thanks for your last post- quite mike

Your rendering is still great even without displacement ,

however The question now is : who to ask for a solution for this issue, Graphisoft or Nextlimit ?
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know if any progress has been made on this issue? The subdivision resembling a "broken mirror" is clearly an Archicad deficiency that need to be corrected to enable advanced rendering software packages like Maxwell and Thea Render to handle displacement maps efficiently.
(Please vote for this in the wish list section of the forum.)
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=40636

I am having similar problems creating usable displacements in Thea Render. I have been able to model some very convincing grass, clapboard, and shingles in test renderings. However, I am unable to get good results with my Archicad models. The best results required me to cut my ground slabs and building walls into square pieces in Archicad. Then, as mentioned in the posts above, I had to use a high subdivision value in Thea Render. This is not an acceptable workflow.

Short of Graphisoft fixing this problem, does anyone know of any software that can be used to resubdivide an archicad model before loading it as a 3DS file into Thea Render?
xavier vanabelle
Newcomer
i have same problem with the normal on Maxwell... Anyone have a solution ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
...isnt it time you guys in Graphisoft to resolve this... models made with Archicad without displacement working with Maxwell properly is not a little thing.