Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Problems publishing PDFs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office has 6 workstations running Archicad 18, linked on a network. Only one of our workstations has this problem.

When publishing a layout to a PDF, only the first attempt succeeds. If an amendment is made, and the layout republished with the same name, the attempt results in a "Fail". (Even if no changes made, any attempt to republish results in a "Fail")

The hint published in the Help Center - "... the former version of this PDF has already been published to the same location ...and it is open in Finder in column view... Archicad thinks this PDF is in use by another application and refuses to publish a new PDF." didn't help. The problem remained when Finder was closed down.

Furthermore, the first published PDF file cannot be renamed or deleted. Any attempt to do so results in an "unexpected error code -8072"

We suspect that this is related to "permissions", but don't know how to resolve it.

We have had font issues as well, understand that there's a known issue, and are following the threads for information. Could it be that these 2 issues are related, i.e. the published PDF file contains an unknown font? (The font in question is not new to this practice, but one that we have used successfully for the last few years)

Any help appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is spreading like a virus. Another architect is now unable to attach a PDF to an email, because Outlook thinks the PDF is in use by another program.

No other programs are open, and the 'Finder' window is closed.

Any help appreciated.
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Keith wrote:
Any help appreciated.
Keith,

to find out what blocks the creation of the new set of PDFs I think we would need to check the ArchiCAD logs:
- replicate the error
- close ArchiCAD
- collect the ArchiCAD fastlogs: http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/?p=25448

After having the logs please get in touch with our support team in the UK. They will help to get the files here and assist you through the process.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay - I replicated the error, closed Archicad. Opened helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/setup/fastlogger/

But can't find FastLogger on our system in location described. There is no 'Library' folder under Users/MyName/.. I have a 'Library' folder on my HD, and a 'Logs' folder in that folder, but no 'Graphisoft' folder in the 'Logs' folder. There is a 'DiagnosticReports' folder in the 'Logs' folder, containing a number of files called 'ARCHICAD_DATE....etc. iMac.wakeups_resource.spin', but I suspect this is something else?
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Keith wrote:
But can't find FastLogger on our system in location described. There is no 'Library' folder under Users/MyName/..
Keith,

The Library folder on recent OS X version is hidden, to access it:
- Open Finder
- Go menu
- Press down the alt - option key
- a link to the Library will appear

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Keith,

thank your for the collaboration with our UK team. We identified the problem and are working on the solution.

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Some updates on this:

Based on our investigation this issue is related to how the SMB protocol is handled on the PDF engine/OS X level. We reported this problem to to the provider of the PDF engine.

Until a solution will be available, the following workaround can help to avoid using SMB: when you mount the Mac server either use CIFS (that uses an older implementation of samba) or AFP (Apple's own Filing Protocol) protocols instead of smb. To do that:
- unmount the server
- In Finder, Go menu
- Connect to Server...
- Use either cifs://servername or afp://servername to mount the network share

As an alternate option SMB can be disabled on the Mac server in System Preferences, Sharing, File Sharing, Options. (In this case CIFS won't work either.)

Please note, that if you have linked content like hotlinks, libraries, drawings from this server, those might need to be re-linked as the path changes. For that use Drawing Manager, Hotlink Manager and Library Manager.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
We still have this circumstance, and don't understand why it hasn't been resolved, as it was never a problem in previous releases of Archicad.

As a workaround, we either publish drawings only to the desktop, or print them as PDFs through the printer dialogue.

Neither solution is as satisfactory as being able to publish by the original method - the method we still use for publishing DWGs

Nobody else suffering from this problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I´m unable to publish pdf, it fails.
sends an error message:
"Publishing of the item failed due to an incorrect definition of a path or drive, or insufficient access rights."
Help please,
thanks!
Stress Co_
Advisor
rucailo wrote:
I´m unable to publish pdf, it fails.
You need to tell publisher where you want the files saved.
Open the "Publisher Set Properties" and define the path.
(Note: with Teamwork,... others will have to redefine the path for
their workstation).
Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 11.01.02 AM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)