BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Problems with zones

Karol Lozinski
Participant
Hi, I encountered an issue with zones. For some reason it won't measure the area with roof substraction in the right way. For test I made a small building with two identical floors. One has only slab above it, and the upper floor has roof. Area of both is the same while the upper one should be smaller. It seems that I've done everything, yet it won't work properly. I put screenshots in link underneath. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/a/Obwp6
AC 27 Win 11
6 REPLIES 6
insideru
Advocate
Silly question: did you trim the zones to your roof?!
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Karol Lozinski
Participant
Well... It looks like not too silly. At first, when I read your answer I asked myself how can one be so stupid. And so I came back to my file, turned on floor view, selected my zone, clicked design>connect>trim to roof/shell, then selected my roof aaaand... still nothing. But I guess it's no the way of trimming zones? I feel so embarrassed with these kind of question but this happens when people learn programs on they own jumping from one aspect to another, leaving some important stuff untouched.
AC 27 Win 11
Barry Kelly
Your zone area will only reduce if the zone height is trimmed by the roof to a height less than 2200mm.
It is hard to see if this is happening from your image.
Is the height being reduced enough?

Barry.
zone_height.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karol Lozinski
Participant
No, it isn't. But only because you drawn the line from my lower zone to the roof. In between them is the second zone, at the height of the upper floor. I've put the roof down so drastically so the difference between area will be obvious. And as you cas see, the distance between default upper floor and the roof is far less 1400mm, so at some point there should appear 100% substraction.
AC 27 Win 11
Barry Kelly
I just had a play and as it says in the zone settings dialogue "Any changes will take effect if zones are updated".

So select your zone, open the "update zones" dialogue (in Design menu) and update the selected zone.
That should then adjust the area.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karol Lozinski
Participant
YES! It completely solved the problem! I wouldn't think that such thing ain't done automatically! Good thing that the "problem" is solved. Thank you, thank you all for help!!!
AC 27 Win 11
Learn and get certified!