Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Publish To DWG Failing

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have attempted to publish an antire drawing set to DWG on three different projects with no success. PM creates the DWG files, but every single one of them crashes AutoCAD with a fatal error. This happens on different projects and on different machines. AutoCAD can't even run the Recover command on the files without crashing.

This functionality is absolutely critical for communication with some of our sub-contractors. What could we possibly be doing wrong?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update:

We discovered that the line display option must be set to Hairline or everything in the DWG is made of polylines. This has allowed us to plot small groups of drawings. But the DWG files still have to be opened with the Recover command to avoid crashing. This is quite annoying when we're talking about 40 or 50 drawings!

Still looking for better results...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay,

We have the same problem. I don't know if it is a PlotMaker issue or an AutoCad issue.

We publish a layout to DWG and receive the dreaded "Unhandled access violation reading 0x0000 exception at 644f8bc6h" when opening in AutoCad. The recuperation file file contains exactly 0kb. The files open OK in AC or PM as DWG, but not in AutoCad.

We have tried:

a) various configurations of the DWG export translator, including the default.

b) saving the files one by one.

We always publish our revised drawing sets in PDF for printing, but both our Client and the Contractors whine about not having DWG files, for some reason. Both the Client's in-house project managers and the Contractors insist on having DWG files, and seem to think that we are not real architects as we don't send "proper" files.

We have two sets of layouts to hand in by friday, and apart from saving the plans one by one from AC direct to DWG (losing all of the layout info and title blocks etc) I can see no solution.

Does anybody else have one?

(AutoCad LT 2004)
Eduardo Rolon
One work around is to publish to DXF. It is not neat but get's the job done.
Also if anyone knows how to get AC not to make all text default to use the "Big Font" option in AutoCAD I will appreciate the answer.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
did you try turning off your fill layers?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
One work around is to publish to DXF. It is not neat but get's the job done.
Also if anyone knows how to get AC not to make all text default to use the "Big Font" option in AutoCAD I will appreciate the answer.
Yeah: me too.

We have found a workaround for our previous problem. By "recuperating" the DWG file directly in AutoCad without opening it, we can use the DWG files. It is a pain, but we have found no alternative. I think our problem is due to AC library parts, judging from the AutoCad recuperation process. Maybe a non-existent macro, although tracking it down is impossible.

Recuperating each DWG, + shutting off the "Big Font"option in AutoCad, + assigning our office font as "standard" for each DWG x 50 is not much fun, and not very productive. Is there no solution?

(AutoCad LT 2004)