BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Publisher created PDF crashes phototshop...... Arc 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using a student version of archicad for my master thesis

When i publish a pdf that has a "floor plan" as a source for the layout (at any resolution). The resultant PDF can be open by
acrobat but crashes photoshop or illustrator (immediately upon opening of the file...appears to never even create thumbnail in open file box)...

(this also happens outside of the publisher using save as pdf for floorplan)

I have tried to resolve on a number of differenct computers and tried CS4 and CS5.

do not have problem for 3ds details, elevations, sections just floor plan
sources...

tom
10 REPLIES 10
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Not that this is a FIX.. but you might try SAVING AS from ACROBAT before trying to open in PHOTOSHOP..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
If that doesn't work, have one of your MAC Buddies open in preview and SAVE AS a jpg.. ( I am presuming you can't save as jpg from acrobloat)...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply...

I did try saving a new pdf using acrobat... i did get a document to big error so it would not save it

I did try reading the file using CS4 on mac, and it did crash

I have not tried saving the file first in acrobat on the mac.....i'll give that a try and see what happens.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Also, if it is a MULTI PAGE document, try publishing one sheet at a time...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use a PDF writer. The cause of this is in some fills, you might try to avoid custom fills.
Anonymous
Not applicable
These are all single pages in Arch E formate...

I was able to "save" a pdf using acrobat on MAC which i could not do on a PC. However, that new saved file also crashed photoshop.

On the PDF writer ...unless i missunderstand something. My issue is not printing, for i can print the file using acrobat. My problem is I need to
do some layering and transparency and opacity work in photoshop of the pdf being generated out of archicad.

the reason i want to use PDFs is because it seems to be the only formate that saves in a resolution and preserves the scale, that really works for board presentations.

On the fill issue..i know of no "custom" fills that i'm using. However i was using standard color fills for the "area" distintion. I removed the colored fill layer and created a new floorplan, that floor plan crashed also.

I whish i could try this on Arch 12 but my license has expired so i can not test it on alnother version

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Thomas,

Printing to a PDF is making the pdf file using a PRINT DRIVER (like cutePDF on win7 or Mac's internal PDF "writer" in any print dialog)...

This is different than the PUBLISH and typically results in a cleaner file (my experience)...

I am not sure if you are WORKING on a mac? or a PC? CutePDF is a free download (as far as I remember)... and does a great job.

If you are on a mac, please also try to open the bad PDF in PREVIEW and save directly as a JPG or TIFF or whatever other bitmap flavor you like to get into Photoshop..

(600)
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also use the Publisher to print (rather than save) to PDF.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found a solution (work around) that worked for me.

After the pdf was published. ( and could not open pdf using photoshop)

I then first open file with acrobat pro
In acrobat pro i save the file as "ps" post script file.
( i was not able to save file as "pdf" with out getting an error)
I was then able to open the "ps" file using photoshop and do editing.

I was using arch E format.

Although i did not find the source of problem, i found a work around.

thanks for ideas and inputs.

maybe this "work around" will help others.
Learn and get certified!