BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Publishing to get PDF Bookmarks

Could someone tell me the secret to getting the PDF bookmarks when you publish to PDF? The reference guide says that you are able to generate bookmarks, but doesn't tell you what to do. Sometimes I get them; sometimes I don't. I have no idea what controls this.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin wrote:
I think these are all the settings. Maybe see if anything is different between the two projects. Perhaps PDF/A or 'export layers' is affecting things.
I had compared this previously. Both are set identically, as far as I can tell. (To archive PDF/A-2a, no layers) I just tried publishing the entire set again and get the same result: one plan generates bookmarks, and the other doesn't.

EDIT: I think I found the reason. I finally noticed a bunch of scratch files for the non-bookmarked version. So I opened the file with "Open and Repair". No more scratch files, and - VOILÀ - Bookmarks!

Hope this helps somebody...
Richard

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Not sure, since I don't use these, but my guess is this allows you to click detail markers etc and it will show you the correct layout.

This probably works through the 'back reference' option of title blocks (which I also do not use).

Not much help, but maybe some starting points.

I did however find out that the reference guide is apparantly no longer installed as a PDF with AC23 forward
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Thanks for trying, Erwin. I'm talking about these bookmarks:
Richard
runxel
Legend
Richard wrote:
I have no idea what controls this.

I think it is done automatically as long as you hit that "make a single PDF" checkbox.
There are actually 2 ways to do so, but I get bookmarks in both of them.
First option is in the Publisher Set settings.
Second option: You need a folder inside the Publisher Set. Click on it and you get the option to merge into one PDF inside the "Format" tab.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
runxel wrote:
I think it is done automatically as long as you hit that "make a single PDF" checkbox.
This is what I thought, too. However, today I published a set that had a similar structure to the example above, and there were no bookmarks at all. I can't find anything that is different between the publishing sets; both were set to create a single PDF. I went to the Help Guide, and it said this: "PDFs created with ARCHICAD can include standard PDF features such as layers, thumbnails, and bookmarks." This makes it appear to be an optional setting, but I can't find anywhere to set these options, and the Guide offered no information on these settings.
Richard
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I think these are all the settings. Maybe see if anything is different between the two projects. Perhaps PDF/A or 'export layers' is affecting things.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Solution
Erwin wrote:
I had compared this previously. Both are set identically, as far as I can tell. (To archive PDF/A-2a, no layers) I just tried publishing the entire set again and get the same result: one plan generates bookmarks, and the other doesn't.

EDIT: I think I found the reason. I finally noticed a bunch of scratch files for the non-bookmarked version. So I opened the file with "Open and Repair". No more scratch files, and - VOILÀ - Bookmarks!

Hope this helps somebody...
Richard
Learn and get certified!