Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Question about Auto-text (layout #)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried searching for this but didn't find anything. We have a big project (different layout subsets) And we use our own master for each page and a layout number and total page number (i.e. 2 of 5) on the master. So here is our question: Can you have the auto text reset for each new subset
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are still looking for help on this. Is the only thing around this to make an opaque text over the master on each sheet?
Eduardo Rolon
Yes

You have to create Subsets per each section and edit their numbering system. If you have subsets
A01
A02

then the layouts can contain numbers like

A01.01
A01.02
A02.01
etc.

In your master layouts you would place the following Auto Texts

Layout ID
Layout Number
Subset ID
Subset Number

you can read pages 414 and 426 of The Reference Guide

If you want to reset the total number of pages per section XX of 5 for subset A and XX of 10 for subset B instead of being a total of all the layouts (XX of 15) it cannot be done automatically. One workaround is to have a Master per SubSet and type in the total for each section.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Barry Kelly
ejrolon wrote:
If you want to reset the total number of pages per section XX of 5 for subset A and XX of 10 for subset B instead of being a total of all the layouts (XX of 15) it cannot be done automatically. One workaround is to have a Master per SubSet and type in the total for each section.
There is a little trick to kind of automating it.

On the last layout page of your subset place a drawing (any one) and rename (custom name in properties) it to something like "Last page number".
Resize it so it has only a small frame and move it off to the side of the layout page.
Now right click on it and choose "Set as autotext reference" from the context menu.

Here's the trick.
You only need the one master layout for the subset if that suits your needs.
On that master add the autotext with a Category of "Reference for "Last page number" and choose "Layout ID ref."

If you drag the drawing to another page it will display that layout number - which is why it must be place on the last page.

So on the master you could have "Layout ID of Layout ID ref."

"Layout ID" will give you the current layout number of the layout the master is in (i.e. the page number) and "Layout ID ref." will give you the layout number the Last page number drawing is placed in (i.e. the last page number for that subset).
For example "4 of 6".

I hope this make some sense.
Not sure if I have explained it too well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon
Can't believe that 5 years later I still need to use this trick.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

wilson83
Contributor
With v18 and the addition of the revision manager, I have been using the 'status' and 'status code' in the tags and categories of the layout to identify the page number and total page number of any particular subset. You still have to manually apply the individual page number for each but you can select all of the layouts in a subset and manually apply the total page number (or status code) for all.

The above mentioned methods did not work for me as the outcome would result in far to many masters for the purpose we use it for. Thought I would throw this one into the mix as well. Be interested to hear of any short comings.
Michael Wilson

ArchiCAD 9 - 22 (6021 AUS Full)
Win7 | 64 bit | 8Gb RAM | Intel i7 3.40 Ghz
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Can't believe that 5 years later I still need to use this trick.
Yeah, right ) Good trick, but how many times we will use chocks like this in workflow? GS needs to add #SubLayouts in autotext.
Searched everywhere...

Is it possible to have an automatic text in the Layout ID?

Our office template includes file naming with the Revision ID of each layout among other stuff. We have to change each file name by hand, renaming the files exported by the Publisher.

Would be great to have an export option which names each layout based on automatic texts.

thanks
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you are talking about publishing PDF, yes, it is very easy to rename a whole publishing set following a naming convention using autotext.
rename_items.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
That's it! Thank you!
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11