BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Question about Paramters, ID text and custom texts?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm new around here, and all new to Archicad. I have tried to search for what I'm looking for but it's not that easy when you don't talk the talk so to speak, so I apologize for just asking and not using search. My company are in the moves of going over to Archicad instead of ADT hence I don't know the lingo.

I was told that the only text that can be displayed from the parameters on the "drawing" is the ID. My company works alot with furnitures and we need to be able to get other parameters out on the "drawing" that you can view and not only in to schedualtables.

Is is possible to get more information out? For example we may work with a sink in a researcharea and have to display information like "Stainless Steel" "Cold Water "Warm Water" - things that I understand can be written in to the parameters but not later displayed. I tried searching and and found words like GDL, custom markers and macros but I don't even know if this is what I'm looking for as I have no clue about this program... yet

Anyone that could help me out with either a short guide or links that can guide me. I want to make this transition smooth.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Welcome to ArchiCAD and AC-talk!

I'm on my iPad so can't give links and examples ... But what you're looking for is a custom label. There are some free ones that users have posted, as well as some that other users have for sale. An associative label can extract a variety of info from an element/object for display.

Other folks will hopefully post some links for you here.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and thanks for your reply, atleast I know the name of what I'm looking for but some links to guide me would be very helpful!
Karl Ottenstein
Look through the labels you can find here:
https://bimcomponents.com/Search/label

Objects from this web site can be searched and downloaded directly in the various object-based tool dialogs within ArchiCAD, also.

The 'label everything' label may be what you're looking for?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!

I tried setting this demo up and adding my custom made parameters but at that point I got an error from the label. Something about 2D settings - can't quite remember as my computer went black and I had to reboot. It might have been that I used letters like åäö but I'm not sure.
Will try some more later

Is this the only already made one on the market that can display parameters from an object? Is it hard to make this yourself?

I'm not looking for something supercomplicated - all I want is a textline (label) that can read a parameter from an object and display it. Maybe have some kind of parameter1text+parameter2text kind of programming.

Side question, can you connect several labels to 1 object? When I checked the box the label just appeared, didn't seem to be able to connect several labels.

For example we are working with liquids and gasses in laboratory environments - In my head this makes us want to be able to put information in to an object, like for example Cold water, Warm Water, Pressured air and Hydrogen - all of these would than have to be displayed on the drawing using some kind of label nad as I understand Archicads standardlabel only displays the ID of the object.

The best way to have it would be individual textlines for all of our textinputs so we can move them around so that it looks good instead of just a long row of text.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
ronald wrote:
Side question, can you connect several labels to 1 object? When I checked the box the label just appeared, didn't seem to be able to connect several labels.
Each building element can only have one Label associated to it, so if you want multiple parameters read from one element, a single Label would need ro read these parameters.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
This information is kind of a big letdown to me that you can't connect several labels to 1 object aswell as actually showing all parameters via a label.

This Label Everything seems to be a cost form an external company and the demo I couldn't get to work without getting an error message

Do you guys think that programming a label to read always read 1 line of parameters is hard? In that way I could create a small library of parameters that would just read different things.

I have added my version and OS in the signature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

It is not hard to code if you post an example object
having the parameters made.

I suggest posting it to the 'Library Parts / GDL' section
of this forum.
Learn and get certified!