BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

REMOVE UNUSED SECTIONS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello! How can I remove all unused sections, which are not placed to any sheets?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Eduardo Rolon
No as far as I know.
You can use the Drawing list schedule to see which ones are placed and then edit their ID by adding Prefix this will sort the sections in the Project Map and then you can select the ones that don't have them and either delete them or place them in another layer.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
Delete them or place them in a "Sections Unused" Layer and turn them off. There is no penalty for having too many sections in the model even if they are not placed in the layouts.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
The main problem is that it is a TeamWork file and there are too much sections, — and finding those, which are not used on the layout is essential. Is there any way to automate this?
Solution
Eduardo Rolon
No as far as I know.
You can use the Drawing list schedule to see which ones are placed and then edit their ID by adding Prefix this will sort the sections in the Project Map and then you can select the ones that don't have them and either delete them or place them in another layer.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Going forward with projects I would recommend to have a 'temp section' layer as these are very handy with drafting, but you don't want them to show up on layouts.

After that it is a matter of keeping a naming convention going and periodically checking which sections sit on which layer and adjust names as needed.

As with most things: easy solutions require disciplined drafting.

Since we typically name sections from A to Z (and rarely having more than a few of them), just calling your temp sections Temp1 to TempX will put them at the bottom of the list. (unless you somehow make it up to section T!)
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
They introduced some kind of cleanup script in the AC24. It doesnt really work, though. It's sooo expected from graphisoft.
schagemann
Enthusiast
ejrolon wrote:
There is no penalty for having too many sections in the model even if they are not placed in the layouts.
That really depends on how many we are talking about - especially if they are set to auto-update,

In our experience large amounts (50+) sections & elevations make a huge difference in terms of file performance.

In addition to a dedicated layer for temp drawing elements, we find it also useful to add a special favourite for temp sections and elevations with a special colour so that anything that is temp can be easily identified and later removed.

Hope that helps.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Eduardo Rolon
FWIW I had a project in AC10 with around 400-500 sections (60,000 sqft) which didn't have any issues and I have been bringing it forward since without any issues.
I also use a GO to highlight any layers that I have with the suffix TEMP so that I can coordinate quickly what is in the correct place. Moving it out to the correct layer removes the overrides without having to reapply a Favorite.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

schagemann
Enthusiast
@ejrolon > presumably you are not using your MBPro with the 4-500 sections?

Interesting concept to use GO to highlight elements on TEMP layers - need to play more with them.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Eduardo Rolon
Running in the MBP without issues. Originally on a MacPro G5 with 16Gb of Ram so right now it runs faster. Checking they are not Sections but around 481 Elevations but don't think that would make that much of a difference.
Did manage to crash the file in 24 by doing a Full Layout Update right after migrating instead of trying to 20 100 elevations at the time.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Learn and get certified!