Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

RENDERING AN AUTOCAD DWG FILE IN ARCHICAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to render an Autocad DWG "Elevation" file in Archicad?
If so, what are the steps?

Help me please!
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
If this image has only 2D drawing elements in it,
ArchiCAD's rendering engine can't do anything to it.

However, you can define surfaces and intuitive shading using colored fills as you would in Illustrator or any other vector drawing application.

By using Photoshop to create bitmap patterns, even sophisticated graduated fills can be directly applied in ArchiCAD.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
so i can use the existing Autocad drawings to elevate the walls then render the elevations....
or
i can render the existing 2D elevations using coloured fills Archicad? are there any colured fills in Archicad or do i have to create them myself?

thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
How new are you?

Other than merely pasting material textures from the texture library, fills are created from the fill tool using a pattern and a pen color to establish the pattern color and the optionally separate outline.

What is your city? Perhaps you should call me.
Dwight Atkinson
stefan
Expert
I don't think you can "elevate" an AutoCAD imported 2D-line into a 3D-model.

You can draw over the AutoCAD drawing in ArchiCAD and make real ArchiCAD objects.

Or you can check out Plan2Model (available for ArchiCAD and ... AutoCAD ADT).

But why would you want to "render" in ArchiCAD?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
fuzzytnth3
Booster
stefan wrote:
I don't think you can "elevate" an AutoCAD imported 2D-line into a 3D-model.

You can draw over the AutoCAD drawing in ArchiCAD and make real ArchiCAD objects.
You can import an AutoCAD dwg file into a library object type one command in the 3d Script ROTx 90 Insert the object in your model you will then have the 2d AutoCAD dwg showing in the 3d window in shaded and wireframe mode. Remeber it won't show in a Photorendering though.

I have used the above technique when creating section drawings through a building where we had already drawn the elevations of the building in ArchiCAD, exported them as AutoCAD files and reimported as objects.
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics