BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing Tool: How do I delete the balusters on a portion of the stair that is against a wall?

svpribyl
Booster
I have an L-shaped stair, created with the stair tool, which is partially against a wall. I created an associated railing with balusters. How do I delete the balusters that are against the wall? I was thinking I could select a single segment and delete the balusters from that segment, but I can't select a single segment. When I try, all segments are selected. Or is this the incorrect methodology?

Thanks!
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
svpribyl wrote:
I was thinking I could select a single segment and delete the balusters from that segment, but I can't select a single segment. When I try, all segments are selected. Or is this the incorrect methodology?
Yes you can.
Select the stair (in 3D is best) and then right click and choose "Create independent segments and nodes" and then go into EDIT mode.
Now you can select the individual elements (rails, post, balusters, etc.) and delete them.

If you leave just the top rail as the rail against the wall, you will not be able to have wall fixing brackets.
The top rail can only have vertical fixing.
You will need to use a handrail and move it to the top - on both flights so they join.
Then on the free flight it will have a zero offset and no fixing and on the wall flight it will have an offset and wall brackets.
You will have to play with the connection offsets to get that to work - direct connection I think is best.
You will also have a bit of trouble with the corner post position though.

It would probably be easier to have two separate railings.
A full balustrade on the free flight and just a handrail on the wall.
There is probably no need to connect them depending on your stair design.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!