Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

'Random Origin' on surface has no effect.

derekjackson
Enthusiast
Hi, I can't seem to get the 'Random Origin' surface option to work in the 3D Window. We use Maxwell and Lumion quite a lot for our output, and both take their texture coordinates from the 3D window, so the error is carried through.

These timber batons use a surface that has it ticked, but as you can see, the knot in the wood repeats on every baton, so we get these weird horizontal banding both in 3D window and Maxwell render.

It seems to work okay in CineRender - just not the basic engine.

Any ideas why it doesn't work?
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Seems like a bug, I can't get this to work either, however the help documentation suggests this how it should work.

Check and unchecking the option does nothing here.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
derekjackson
Enthusiast
I've emailed Graphisoft support - I'll see what they say.
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Everyone,

I looked into the investigation started by DerekJackson, and I thought I would post what I could see in case someone would run into this in the future.

So, it turns out this is a known issue (bug #103978). The Random Origin function doesn't work in the OpenGL Engine, but it does work for Rendering Engines (Basic and CineRender). We will look into this and see whether this can be fixed in the near future.

In this specific case though, the main issue is not with the OpenGL 3D View, but with the Maxwell add-on (If I understand it right). The state of the "Random Origin" toggle is actually available through the ARCHICAD API (Maxwell communicates with ARCHICAD through that), and the texture alignment should be done by Maxwell based on this information anyways (since it should manipulate textures anyways), so it might be worth contacting them with this issue, see if they can fix it on their side.

I hope this info helps.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Thanks Daniel - will do.