Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Randomise surface texture on Cadimage Wall Covering tool

vauclusebitter
Contributor

Is it possible to randomise the surface texture while using the Cadimage Wall Covering tool? In this example (attached) with a shiplap application, because the shiplap boards are repeating, so is the applied surface which is fairly unrealistic.

I render using Twinmotion which splits the model out by materials so has the same repeating issue as Archicad.

Screenshot 2022-06-09 082409.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
vauclusebitter
Contributor

This has been somewhat solved via a simple, temporary workaround (until individual textures can be applied to individual boards):

1. Changed to the smooth shiplap covering (I was using grooved) which spread the timber surface texture across multiple boards instead of repeating new on every board. This also meant in TM the mapping was across the cladding as a whole, not just the individual boards.

2. Played with the scale and size of the texture to make it look less repetitive (e.g. some repeating elements landing in the shiplap joints).

Screenshot 2022-06-09 123443.jpgTwinmotionTwinmotion

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You will need to add gdl code to the object.

I recently did this to my coverings.

henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Hi - you can't do that currently, but I will add a new feature request into our system, and we can add it in a future update.

Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Solution
vauclusebitter
Contributor

This has been somewhat solved via a simple, temporary workaround (until individual textures can be applied to individual boards):

1. Changed to the smooth shiplap covering (I was using grooved) which spread the timber surface texture across multiple boards instead of repeating new on every board. This also meant in TM the mapping was across the cladding as a whole, not just the individual boards.

2. Played with the scale and size of the texture to make it look less repetitive (e.g. some repeating elements landing in the shiplap joints).

Screenshot 2022-06-09 123443.jpgTwinmotionTwinmotion

Lingwisyer
Guru

Reminds me of FloorGenerator and MultiTexture in 3DS Max. Great tool that would randomly generate boards and assign a random texture from an input array to each board.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660