Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Remove a low roof and build new walls above it

dhnguyen
Contributor

Hi, it's been a while!

Thanks for your help so far, my 3D modeling skills have come a long way since 4 years ago.

I have another question.

The purpose is to remove the low roof and build a 2nd floor above it. I'm not sure what is the best way to achieve it.

I tried 2 ways, the picture I'm showing is with keeping the existing corner walls, but I end up with a hole in the 3D model for the proposed design.

I also tried creating a Demo layer for existing corner walls and proposed layer for the corner walls and turned of the Demo layer in the proposed view - but I end up with the walls not showing up except for the windows....

What is the best way to do here?

Capture.JPG

DNguyen

ArchiCAD 18- 25

(expert in AutoCAD, novice in ArchiCAD)
3 REPLIES 3
Marc H
Advisor

Hi dhnguyen,

I don't see any reference/s to applying renovation status and filter settings to your existing, demo, and new components.  Assigning this status to your elements and then setting your filters for each status view should provide a good result and avoid burdensome layer management.  Occasionally, there will be a few odd results, but this is typically not one of them.

If you haven't had need for the renovation settings before, you will find it also aids you in 'virtually constructing' the project. It may inform you visually on the value of keeping or removing a particular element.  For example, in 3d, you may see the corner wall needs to be strengthened or replaced to support the second floor load.  If the latter, you may then set the existing wall as 'Demo', set your view renovation filter setting to 'Planned', and place a new wall with greater framing as 'Planned'.

Renovation Status.png
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

Hi Marc,

This was done using the Existing and Proposed Renovation Filter setting. I usually don't duplicate the walls to put them on the demo layer, I thought it would solve the problem it doesn't. 

I even tried offsetting the bottom of the 2nd floor walls by 4ft, but the gaps are still there.

DNguyen

ArchiCAD 18- 25

(expert in AutoCAD, novice in ArchiCAD)
Marc H
Advisor

On closer look, it appears to be related to the 'Trim to Roof' on the existing walls.  Even though the roof is 'Demo', the Trim is still in effect.  You have choices.  You could remove the Trim function on the problematic walls and manually resolve the existing condition (since Trim is really an AC tool, not reality) or set the existing walls to Demo (along with the roof), and replace them with 'new' walls (as would likely be the case to support the second floor).  If the old roof is set to 'Demo' renovation status, dropping the base of the new second floor walls to cover the trim should work.  I would re-check your settings.

Left - Trim Issue | Right - New 2nd Flr Walls base @ -6in.png
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors