Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering Service Pricing Query - ROI & UK

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I have been asked by a prospective client to generate a 3D model & renderings. While I know the question is up there with 'how long is a piece of string' I am trying to gauge what would be a reasonable quotation for this job... while I don't want to undersell myself, I also don't want to lose the chance of this job plus future work. I have attached a pdf of the job in hand.

Fair enough if you think this a daft question... but most people on this site seem to be a wealth of info, so what harm is there in asking?

Best Regards,

Stone Thrower
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you forgot to press the button that adds the attachment.
Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry - i am having issues uploading images at present - i wil try again later
Anonymous
Not applicable
see elevation
Anonymous
Not applicable
see plan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Has the Owner requested any interior renderings? In my experience interior renderings are much more time intensive then exterior renderings if needed.

You really need to think backwards and determine how long you think it will take you to model and render the image and then apply to that what you think your worth per hour and then determine if that amount would be reasonable to request from the Owner. If not, maybe you need to make less profit or learn to work faster.

In the past the company I worked for charged about $1000 dollars per rendering (these charges were inaddition to any architectural services being provided). The more rendering they wanted the more money they payed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Modeling for visualization is not the same as modeling for generation of construction documents.
It is important before you start the job that you’ll agree with your client about the specifics of the visualization:

• How many images
• Images of what
• Size of images
• The nature of additional props

Once those things are determined it becomes easier to budget the project.

It is also important to note that once the required images are decided upon, the modeling effort can be directed only towards that which appears in the frame.

Take into consideration that ArchiCAD will be useful for fast modeling of a simple structure like the one you’ve presented. However you will find that by using LightWorks as your main rendering engine, much of your time (probably around 50% of the entire production schedule) will be spent on visualization.

Here are some average sample prices advertised by various visualization studios. These sample prices are based on modeling out of 2D data
Typical Apartment (2-3 bedrooms)
Up to 5 unique living areas such as living area, kitchen, dining area, lounge, and balcony, Up to 2 still images per area within the apartment $4,500

Typical High-rise Condo Building (up to 20 floors)
Including; pool area, lobby and one complete apartment up to 2 bedrooms.
Up to 2 still images per area including exteriors $19,000
Additional apartment up to 4 bedrooms: $5,500
Additional Penthouse up to 6 bedrooms $7,500

Typical single family dwelling (1500-2500 Square feet)
Up to 5 unique living areas such as living room, kitchen, dining area, family room, and entry, as well as full exterior and yard
Up to 2 still images per area within the apartment $7,500

I hope this helps
Dwight
Newcomer
And that would be top dollar since my office receives weekly promotions from Asia with prices below $500. for complete exterior views of commercial buildings --- including the model! Many of the images shown would outrage Homeland Taste Security, but the service is cheap enough you could afford some re-dos.

Many illustrators will quote a standard price but my experience is that every job has a nightmare problem somewhere that blows the time budget. Relying on the client producing the model has its own challenges since many Archicad users are sloppy BIMmers and the model needs massaging from the Swedish Prime Minister.
Dwight Atkinson