BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering close to reality!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a customer yesterday asking me if i can do a rendering project for him that looks like reality.After talking to him for a while and showing him my artlantis renderings I ve realised that artlantis 'reality' is not enough for him.What he asked for me was to design two really posh villas with private swimming pools etch and he wants the renderings to look real in order to put them on a web site for next season online booking. He wants the renderings to look like real pictures of the building so the customers wont realise its a render and think that its already built.He has seen renderings made on 3ds max or vis i dont really know (like the one i ve attached) that they are really impresive and he wants me to make the design and then he will give me pictures of the furniture tiles wooden decks etch that he is going to use so i can put them in the renederings.He offers good money for that and i dont want to lose the job.How can i do it?I use archicad 10 and artlantis studio but i dont think they are enough for this task.Please help!

big-bed_room.jpg
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable
kritikos79 wrote:
I had a customer yesterday asking me if i can do a rendering project for him that looks like reality.After talking to him for a while and showing him my artlantis renderings I ve realised that artlantis 'reality' is not enough for him.What he asked for me was to design two really posh villas with private swimming pools etch and he wants the renderings to look real in order to put them on a web site for next season online booking. He wants the renderings to look like real pictures of the building so the customers wont realise its a render and think that its already built.He has seen renderings made on 3ds max or vis i dont really know (like the one i ve attached) that they are really impresive and he wants me to make the design and then he will give me pictures of the furniture tiles wooden decks etch that he is going to use so i can put them in the renederings.He offers good money for that and i dont want to lose the job.How can i do it?I use archicad 10 and artlantis studio but i dont think they are enough for this task.Please help!

If you want realistic renderings forget about artlantis. The rendering you've posted it's made in 3DSMAX and Vray(www.chaosgroup.com) . Another good rendering engine is Brazil (www.splutterfish.com)
stefan
Expert
Use real 3D objects, instead of photographs. They will capture shadows and inter-object reflections and whatever you need to embed the object into the scene. You can paste in a photograph, but matching perspective and shadows are very hard... And forget about accurate reflections.

Filling a dull scene with much detail is already helping the viewer convince you of something that seems real.

And FWIW, I've recently read that including something photographic into a computer rendering (with enough skill) goes a long way to people accepting something as photoreal.

I'd try to render it in a few passes and tweak in Photoshop. This is a skill you'll not learn overnight. It's practice and practice and experience and practice.

---

The software program is (almost) irrelevant.

3ds max + VRay is a nice combination, but so are many other applications. Even Artlantis Studio will be good to go, if you have good entourage and textures. And maybe more feasible for you anyway, since you already use it.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Georgios!
The best way to achieve your goal is with VRay. I am pretty sure the picture you have shown is rendered with VRay.
Alas, it is impossible to master it starting from scratch and meat the deadline of the project! My advice is to model the scene to a very high level of detail and give it to someone else to render.
The reason I leaned VRay was the same as your case - the client had seen some presentations on magazines and internet and "knew" computers could "make it like real". Since then I have left artistic sketch renderers only for architectural competitions, not for clients!
Anonymous
Not applicable
And thhis one is only for competitions - clients do not like it at all!

It takes more Photoshop than rendering skills, anyway!

Project: Conversion and enlargement /adding second floof/ of a historic building into an Art Gallery, competiton entry, first prize. Photomontage on a bad photograph, taken by me.
Dwight
Newcomer
most certainly! Clients would think it was a snowstorm.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find most clients like the quick and simple (still has to look good of course). They like to feel their money is being spent wisely. That's why I use the sketch render overlay technique a lot. BTW nice piece Dwight - not just the render, I like the art.
Dwight
Newcomer
Thank you.

On one hand, I am very hopeful for this proposal since it is appropriate for the location yet always cautious since it is so far from home.

The conceptual leap is to get them believing that mobile overlapping fictional maps can engage the waiting passengers in thoughts of faraway places.....
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
kliment wrote:
And thhis one is only for competitions - clients do not like it at all!
kliment

i find quite the opposite: clients that i deal with prefer the "arrtistic sketch renders" far more than an attempt a photographing their building prior to its construction.

sketchiness is often far more evocative and helps considerably in selling a scheme.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I agree with Ben, sketchiness leaves more space for client's imagination as oppose to conclusive and concrete impressions that client might not agree with.
::rk
Dwight
Newcomer
Rob wrote:
I agree with Ben, sketchiness leaves more space for client's imagination…
After all, we don't want the client disappointed until the very end. Once it is too late.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!