Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering my Boathouse w/Dwight's Advice

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was going to PM this post directly to Dwight, but, decided that any advice would be great, and it's allways great for searching the forum to learn from other people's questions and advice.

1. I need an aged copper roofing material and I am having a hard time with it. Not, though, the green aged, more of the grey/blue/purple aged.

2. I am having a heck of a time with my water. which has gotten a little better each time. But it is still pretty snowy looking.

I am working on a back ground and what I want to use.
We want something simple as this is only going to be about a 6" by 5" picture in the brochure, so I don't want the building to get lost.
I am attaching my last rendering, and I am also attaching our sample of the roof. The copper on the sample has not been weathered or aged, but, I want to show it in the rendering as so.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an As Built photo of the roof rather than a sample.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
I am having a heck of a time with my water....
.... because you're trying to imitate?

Soft water is a different approach
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, a bit further along.

Still not done.

And yes imitating water.
But not soft rolling water like yours, more cold choppy water.

This last rendering still doesn't have the H2O I want, but the building is better.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to get this done before but the result was too artificial

I started using real photograph and copy/paste in Photoshop.

I'll do some more experimenting to be of help...
Maybe some kind of water refelection should be in your picture as well...

Keep on trying!
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's just about time to bring it into photo shop.
The Only reason I want this water to be Right is 1. cause I cannot figure it out. 2. I like the subtle look of the waves against the dock with the mesh.

I am going to work on that just a bit more and then I'm not messin' with it anymore. I have the trees and back ground just about done and that will be as far as I can go in ArchiCAD with it I think. For now. A day and a half on a rendering for a brochure. . .
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK.
Here it is.
This is what I am submitting.
Dwight
Newcomer
Jess has the book and took my October Boston seminar:

1: Trees: Use the soft leaf material from page 161 to disguise the nature of mechanical landscape elements.

2: Soffit undersides seem to be black - Undersun page 31.

3: What material is that water? How have you prepared the undersurfaces? Page 116.
4:You've lit the porch internally - good.

5: Have you added any skylight or employed a manual blue sun down from the right like page 186?

6:Overall - reduce saturation.

7: Overall: Add .01, .01, 1,1 roughness to materials - the deck, etc.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Jess has the book and took my October Boston seminar:

1: Trees: Use the soft leaf material from page 161 to disguise the nature of mechanical landscape elements.

2: Soffit undersides seem to be black - Undersun page 31.

3: What material is that water? How have you prepared the undersurfaces? Page 116.
4:You've lit the porch internally - good.

5: Have you added any skylight or employed a manual blue sun down from the right like page 186?

6:Overall - reduce saturation.

7: Overall: Add .01, .01, 1,1 roughness to materials - the deck, etc.
0: THANK YOU.
2: I HAD/HAVE AN UNDERSUN TO LIGHT THE SOFFITS, BUT, IT SEEMED TO WASH OUT THE IMAGE SO I DIMMED IT SUBSTANTIALLY. I WILL LOOK AT IT AGAIN.
3: THE WATER STARTED AS AN OPEN GL TEXTURE, THEN I ALTERED IT'S TRANSPARENCY, AND ROUGHNESS ETC IN LIGHTWORKS. YES, I HAVE PREPARED THE UNDER SURFACES, IT IS STONE. NEEDS MORE? YOU CAN'T OBVIOUSLY TELL I DID IT RIGHT?
4: THANKS.
5: I HAVE A SKY OBJECT, AGAIN WASHED OUT, SO I LESSENED IT.
6: REDUCE THE SATURATION IN PHOTOSHOP? THIS IS BEACAUSE IT IS SO SHARP AND CARTOONY?

SO, I WILL BE BACK WITH AN UPDATED RENDER. THANKS AGAIN.